Obedience Trials Day One: Calgon, Take Me Away!!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Obedience Trials Day One: Calgon, Take Me Away!!!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultObedience Trials Day One: Calgon, Take Me Away!!!

Oh. Oh. Oh.

So much to tell...

Well, it's 3:15 and I just had lunch, if that gives you some idea.

But let's start at the beginning:

I'm in the shower this morning and Kevin is about to leave for work. He pokes his head in to say goodbye, and on his way out says, "Oh, by the way, Simon is a little dirty from playing in the yard. You might have to brush him before you go." OK, no problem, see ya later sweetie!

I get ready and go downstairs to let the boys back in, and I find one sparkling clean yellow dog, and the dirtiest, muddiest black dog I have ever seen in my life. ??? Well, OK, most of the mud has dried, so I manage to brush it out, then take wet paper towels and get it off his legs, face, ears, feet, tail...seriously, he was mud-encrusted. WTH Simon??

We still manage to get out of the house on time and Simon whines the entire way to the show, about 30 minutes. He is being just horrible. I realize now I am dealing with Bad Simon. Of course he picks today to come out.

Get to the show, put Simon in crate and go to the ring to check in. Someone has already picked up my number. ??? After a very confusing few minutes, we get it sorted out: I am 217. Number 216 also got a letter saying she was 217, but she was 216 in the catalog. We trade numbers and I go back to the crate.

When I get there, there are two kind of miffed-looking women standing there. "Is that your black dog?"

Me: "um...yes?"

"Well, he was out of the crate."

Me: "WHAT!?!?!??!?!!?!"

Apparently Simon unzipped the crate and decided to go visiting. > They weren't sure whether he was friendly to strangers and so were a bit nervous about getting him back in. After some major apologizing and appearing to be very clearly shocked and appalled about this, they became my friends and said they would watch him if I had to go to the bathroom. They also showed me that my crate has a little clasp on it so you can lock it. Duh. :

So now, I'm scared to death to leave the crate. Every time I do, I look back over there and the whole damn crate is rocking. >

After Advanced, they break for lunch. I get no lunch. I am crate-sitting. My blood sugar is dropping. I manage to sneak away to the concession stand and get a bag of chips, which I inhale in record time.

I get Simon out to work with him a bit while everyone else is enjoying their tasty lunches, and a woman with a Rottie comes walking up to us. "Ohhhh, look! A Flattie!" She remarks how rare they are, then she proceeds to tell me about her champion Flattie who is in the car, and would I like to go meet him?

WOULD I!!!!! ;D

I decide to risk it and go visit the Flattie outside...he is just out the back door. I lock the crate before I go. Well, this Flat Coated was GORGEOUS. Man. He was a conformation type, beautiful build, and just the biggest friendly baby you've ever seen. She showed me some of his hunting stuff. He was in agility today. She is actually a Lab breeder. This is her only Flattie. I think she also breeds Rotts. Anyway, that was pretty amazing!

So, I go back inside and almost miss the walk-through for Novice. I RUN to the other side of the building, jump in the ring and start walking. I make it through the course five times. I am the last one to leave, as usual.

OK, now it's time to start thinking about warming up seriously. I get Simon out and spend the next half hour or so doing all the RAH RAH RAH YOU ARE SO GREAT I can physically manage. Meanwhile, Simon does not care. He does not even care that I have food at this point. I mean, at least with Angus, if there is the promise of a treat, he will completely ignore everything but me. To the point of bumping into things because he is too busy watching me and my hot dogs. Not so with Simon. He had to sniff every butt that went by, every hand, every crotch. After 30 minutes of this I am ALREADY exhausted, and not even in the ring yet. I find myself wishing for Angus.

We go into the ring. Right off there is a serpentine. Not his best, but he manages to somehow make it through. Then we have a left turn, and a call front finish left. Now call front finish left is what Simon LIVES for. But today, he decided an impression of Dorothy as she opens the door and steps into Oz was in order. "Ooooo, look at the pretty colors! Wow, this place is so big! I've never seen anything like this!" : So, there he went. Gone.

Somehow, I don't remember how, I managed to get him back. But not before we knock over a sign and bumble all over each other to the point of evoking giggles from the sidelines. :-\ He did do a marvelous Left 360, and this was the thing that worried me most. By the end of the course I had my Simon.

I left the ring thinking, "OK, let's go get your peanut butter Mr. No Ribbon." :-[ I honestly didn't know what knocking over a sign would do to us. I'd never heard anyone mention it, but it smacked of NQ to me. I steeled myself to go back and see a big ole' NQ written above our number.

Instead, I saw: 91!

Not the best he is capable of (it never is), but certainly respectable, and especially good considering this was the fourth time in his short life to ever be in any kind of Rally ring, let alone at a huge show!

Very proud. And, his first leg score was higher than Angus'.

So, hopefully tomorrow will be less eventful.

Things I learned today:

- Pack a lunch.
    - Lock the crate.
    - No outside play time before a show.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Obedience Trials Day One: Calgon, Take Me Away!!!

YAYYYYYYYYY!!! Atta boy, Simon!

I don't know the ruling on a knocked-over sign either. I DO know the ruling on a missed sign, though! ;D ;D ;D

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

Whew! I was on pins and needles reading most of that story. So glad it had a good ending, though.

Good boy, Simon! Congratulations to you both!!! ;D

Knock 'em dead tomorrow, too.

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

First and foremost: Way to go, Simon! Good boy.

Second: ROFLMAO at your story. I wish I could have been there. You're a one-person party.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

<standing ovation>

Great job!
    Great story!

Can't wait to read the next report.

Mygirls2 is offline Senior Member

Connie, I bet I know who had the flat coated retriever. Was her name Katie? If it was, she breeds show Rotties, field labs, and has one co-owned flat coated retriever. She is always showing her dogs or running them in field trials.

Connie, I bet I know who had the flat coated retriever. Was her name Katie? If it was, she breeds show Rotties, field labs, and has one co-owned flat coated retriever. She is always showing her dogs or running them in field trials.
    That's her! She was SO nice. I loved her Rottie too. He was a big ole' snuggle bug.

Connie and "The Boys":

I'm exhausted just reading about your day. As Randy Jackson would say "You worked it out, dawg". ;D A 91 is a very respectable score. Well done!

FYI, a knocked cone or sign is a 3 pt deduction. I found that out when Essy's big butt knocked over a cone in a very confined course while doing a 90 degree pivot left. She wasn't even doing any exercise relating to the cones...there just wasn't enough room for a large dog to manuever.

Oh Lydia, Thanks! So it was three points for that...probably another six for tight leash? Or maybe bumbling around a 270?

I wish I had looked at the book afterward. I was just so ready to go!

Connie and "The Boys":

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

WTG, Simon. I love how you write. You kept me on the edge of my computer seat. Looking forward to more tales as the week goes on. Congrats, Big Boy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast