NLR - What whould you expect of your vet? Venting...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NLR - What whould you expect of your vet? Venting...

RebaHalle is offline Senior Member

DefaultNLR - What whould you expect of your vet? Venting...

Venting. Frustrated. Worried.

We have one barn cat, almost 9 years old. She was born here and in her younger years was fairly tame. She is spayed and for a few years she got her shots when the vet came to do the horses. She is a big cat that has not been held for years and has not had shots for at least 5 years. Not tame, but pettable.

Monday morning, she is curled up in the hay in the loft, obviously not well. Her food is always up there and we took her up water. As of yesterday morning, no change, but we think she did get up and eat. I finally did see her change her positions in the hay and it seems like her rear end was working properly; I had wondered about that. Can only wonder if she is sick or hurt. Last night we went up and she was GONE! However we did find her back in some bales of hay, which must have been difficult to get to. So hopefully this is promising. In the hay that she left there was what looked like blood. I have used a flashlight and did not see any visible wounds, but am assuming that she was hurt somehow.

She was still in the same place this morning, and we think she had eaten again.

I had to be away today, but my husband called the vet. Horse (large animal) vet as we were hoping that he would make a house call for the cat. I was thinking maybe tranq her and examine her or something. And if necessary take her into the office and stitch her up or put her out of misery. Long story short, my husband just left to pick up amoxicillin and canned cat food that the vet thinks she will eat if laced with amoxicillin. I am willing to try this as I think the fact that the cat moving to a more difficult to access spot and appearing to be eating has got to be good news.

I just think the vet could have done more. Is this expecting too much? This vet clinic is a husband-wife team. She does the clinic (Reba's vet) and he does our horses. Does anyone else have a problem getting a vet to come to the house if an animal cannot be taken to the vet? If I am willing to pay the cost of a farm call for a small animal, why would they not want to come? This happened with a previous vet several years ago.

Vent done. Please think healing thoughts for Picabo (after Picabo Street, the skier).
    Judy, mom to Reba, the Lab, and Jalapeno (Halle), the JRT

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: NLR - What whould you expect of your vet? Venting...

I don't think your asking much here and I would demand they come out and see the cat. Or they could offer you something to sedate the cat with and you can take her in.
    She could have gotten into a scruff with another cat.
    Hopefully things get better.
    Kim

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

It seems to me that if you are paying for a house call, you should get a housecall...whether a cat or a dog or a horse or a cow. ??? Is the vet worried or uncomfortable working with a possibly semi-feral cat? Maybe they don't have updated sedatives for cats, etc.?

I hope the amoxicillin works for her.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

Did the vet refuse to come out or maybe it is just a case that he is unavailable ATM! I know where I work that house calls is a service that we are able to offer but only in a fairly limited capacity eg at lunch times because that is when there are two vets on and one is able to stay at the clinic.

Won't someone please feed me!

I'm not sure about your specific situation but out here the vets specialize in large animals (horses, cows, etc) or small animals (cat, dogs) or exotics (birds, reptiles, ferrets). Just because a vet is a vet doesn't mean they feel comfortable or are trained in treating all animals. If your vet is a large animal vet, it may explain why they didn't come out for a cat. I know my horses' vet wouldn't treat a cat. My dogs' vet also won't treat our ferret.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

It sounds like this cat should've been taken to a small animal vet who could properly treat it days ago, when you fist noticed she wasn't feeling well. If you have a blanket and a box you can get that cat to a vet if you want to. I'm sorry if this is harsh, but if you're really worried about the cat, throw a heavy blanket over it and toss it in a box, you can tape the thing closed if it's really wild.

I would be worried less about the fact that your equine vet refused to treat your cat and more about the fact that your cat might be really suffering. And I also agree with Lydia, the vet I work for will not see any exotics (ferrets, birds, reptiles, pocket pets) and I'm sure my horses' vet wouldn't treat Jake.

I hope you can get Picabo to a vet soon, sending healing thoughts to her.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

georgie is offline Senior Member

I hope Picabo feels better soon.

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

I hope Picabo is felling better soon. I really think she should be seen by a vet. As Jess said there's a hundred ways to get her there, and this may be something serious but fixable.

And yes, I do think if you are paying for a house call you should get one.

RebaHalle is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by yellojakesmom
    It sounds like this cat should've been taken to a small animal vet who could properly treat it days ago, when you fist noticed she wasn't feeling well. If you have a blanket and a box you can get that cat to a vet if you want to. I'm sorry if this is harsh, but if you're really worried about the cat, throw a heavy blanket over it and toss it in a box, you can tape the thing closed if it's really wild.
    In my opinion, taking this cat to the vet without her being sedated would have only added to her trauma. Not only would she have been scared to death, I thought I might make her injuries worse. As for being 'days ago', it was Monday. Sometimes I don't just call a vet on the first inkling there might be a problem; but let it go to see if it possibly gets better. The vet was actually called Wednesday evening (last night) but did not return the call until this morning; I did not deem it necessary that he return the call Wednesday night. By then we knew she was eating, so thought that it must be an injury rather than an illness. If I thought she were sick and that I would not be further injuring her, I would be more aggressive in catching her. In no way would it be humane to possibly do more physical injury, and scare her in the process.

By the way, she was eating the amoxicillin laced canned food when I left her tonight. Hopefully tomorrow she will come a little more out into the open and we can get a better look. I really didn't think she would eat it.

Judy, mom to Reba, the Lab, and Jalapeno (Halle), the JRT

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I hope she gets better soon! And glad she ate the amoxicillin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast