Should we get a second lab now or wait?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Should we get a second lab now or wait?

  1. #1
    maggieandfinn's Avatar
    maggieandfinn is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    506

    DefaultShould we get a second lab now or wait?

    Okay so Maggie is 15 months old and we are talking about getting a second lab. The question is when and how so I am looking for a little help.

    Maggie was a rescue that we got at 10 weeks. We were lucky to find such a young pup needing a home. She is a great dog and we love her very much. We have had a few minor health issues (mange and a small tumor on her leg) but other than that the perfect rescue pup. We know that we want a second dog but my husband and I can not agree on rescue again or go through a breeder. I know most of you recommend waiting until the first one is 2 yrs of age but that won't really work for us bc we are hoping to start a family right around Maggie's second bday and we know we want the 2nd dog so by the time baby came (if we got preggo right away) Maggie would be almost 3 and the pup would be between 1-2. Both dogs would have plenty of attention as I work from home and am never busy.

    Okay so bottom line. Spoke with the rescue about 3 months ago and told them we were interested in a yellow male puppy (12 weeks or younger). I hate to wish a puppy to rescue and so far the rescue has not been able to find anything (which is good and bad). We spoke with them and they say they might have better luck in the summer but will let us know. I have found a breeder using Labby's site (thanks Laura for putting such a great list together) that is expecting puppies this week and I have spoken with her and everything sounds great. They will be ready end of March and if we want one we need to let her know on Monday (that is when call back day starts). Hubby really loves the idea of rescuing but I feel that we rescued one we won't be bad people to get the 2nd from a breeder. And to be totally honest he is also looking at $$. Cheaper to rescue than buy from breeder. He knows the differences, pedigree, health clearances etc. Both dogs are pets only we won't be doing any shows. So if we got preggo right away Maggie would be almost 3 and 2nd dog would be almost 2 if going with breeder and I feel those are good ages. If we do rescue route we don't know how long we will be waiting so....Wanted to add that we have talked about older dogs but for personal reasons we really want to go the puppy route again.

    Any advice? Would you go with the breeder bc of time line or wait on rescue and hope something comes along?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    MickeysMom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,144

    DefaultRe: Should we get a second lab now or wait?

    Let me just say this; Mickey is our first non-rescue pupper, and the least healthy. He came from a very reputable breeder, his parents have all their health clearances, they both have their Senior Hunting and Retrieving titles, and have show titles in their pedigrees, but still, Mickey developed severe food allergies. He's physically sound besides the horrible reactions, but it took us three years to develop a treatment and maintenence plan to keep him comfortable and healthy.

    I mention this because you can never really tell what will happen in a breeding. Mickey was the second chosen out of the litter, and the only one to present with allergies at all. This was a proven pair too; they had already had litters producing healthy pups, some of which went on to being titled themselves.

    As for us, we've done the puppy thing, the next dogs we bring home will be older rescues. I love my Mickey, and it would be over my cold dead corpse that someone would take him from me, but I think I'd rather know what I'm getting next time. JMHO.
    WooT!<br /><br /><br />He made it too! <br />

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,653

    DefaultRe: Should we get a second lab now or wait?

    Hmmm...I guess it wouldn't matter too much, since you're looking at a puppy either way. An older rescue might concern me, if you didn't know its history with kids.

    I went through this decision before getting Gabby. I want kids in her lifetime, so any dog that I got would need to be okay with kids. I looked at both breeders and rescue groups.

    I actually attempted to rescue an older guy, who the rescue told me had been around kids, loved people, etc. In the week that I had him (I sent him back), he bit me, my boyfriend, the UPS guy, and the vet tech.

    I found a breeder that has young grandkids, and his grandkids are always playing with the puppies (with his supervision). Gabby loves people (a combination of good breeding, and good socialization) and really loves kids (they always seem to be dropping food!).


  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Scout and friends Guest

    DefaultRe: Should we get a second lab now or wait?

    Scout came from a good breeder, and she developed orthopedic problems in both knees that required surgery. Neither parent, grandparent, great grandparent etc showed this problem. Three surgeries, along with her spay, so vet bills were high in the first 2 years of her life. And there was the post op care after the 3 surgeries too. She had @ 3 weeks of crate rest and then PT after each surgery. Extra time and care for her because of these surgeries.

    I'm SO glad I had the money to cover her medical expenses, because she's going to have a great life now. It's something I feel strongly about - when you're getting a pet, you have to be prepared, just in case. Because it can happen - medical problems - buying from a breeder, rescue, either one.

    I think training when you have more than one dog is really important too. When my mum had to rehome her dog last year (she's a senior, had to move into assisted living) I was the only option for rehoming. It has taken some work to get these dogs living peacefully together, but we've made it work. But it was work.

    Those are 2 things that come to my mind. Good luck!

  7. #5
    maggieandfinn's Avatar
    maggieandfinn is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    506

    DefaultRe: Should we get a second lab now or wait?

    bump for more advice

  8. #6
    wyntercreek labradors uk Guest

    DefaultRe: Should we get a second lab now or wait?

    OK this is just my opinion.
    I would not leave it too long before you get another pup as it seems you have made up your mind to have one.
    Do not get a baby (7/8 weeks) with your own dog
    Labs as you know are very playful but clumsy and can easy end up hurting the young pup (sometimes very seriously and could result in death)not because they intend to hurt the pup its just that accidents happen.
    So go for something around the 3 or 4 month age group that should be able to move out of the way quicker than the baby 8 week old.plus its bones are a little stronger
    Also your own dog will benefit from the interaction of having another dog to play with, humans cannot provide this type of interaction.
    Regardss from JT Wyntercreek labradors .com

    [attachment deleted by admin]

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    187

    DefaultRe: Should we get a second lab now or wait?

    Have you gone to the local shelters to see if they have any lab pups or posted with them telling them you're interested in a lab pup. The Houston shelters ALWAYS have puppies needing a home. It may be worth a look anyway.

    Personally, I got my two at the same time. I think if you're handling the other one and feel like you have time for a second one, then go for it. It's just basically double the work so make sure you're ready for it.

  10. #8
    maggieandfinn's Avatar
    maggieandfinn is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    506

    DefaultRe: Should we get a second lab now or wait?

    Quote Originally Posted by stlabs
    Have you gone to the local shelters to see if they have any lab pups or posted with them telling them you're interested in a lab pup. The Houston shelters ALWAYS have puppies needing a home. It may be worth a look anyway.

    Personally, I got my two at the same time. I think if you're handling the other one and feel like you have time for a second one, then go for it. It's just basically double the work so make sure you're ready for it.

    We have been working with the rescue we got Maggie from and they pull from shelters all over south Ohio, Northern KY and parts of Indiana and we have been checking with other rescue groups. So far nothing which is why I started looking at breeders.

    As for handling the 2nd one there is no problem there. We have lots of time, energy, and are financially able to care for a second pup. Just not sure if we have the time to wait for a pup to end up in a shelter or rescue bc of wanting to start a family.

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    663

    DefaultRe: Should we get a second lab now or wait?

    We got Gidget at 8 weeks after Lucy turned 1. Lucy is my rescue at the ripe age of 7 weeks with chronic ear and eye infections. Gidget is my purebred from a breeder and she does have allergies. So, either way we went we have medical issues.

    Lucy was so gentle with her and I always made sure to supervise them. The only thing I can really recommend is to make sure the older dog has it's manners and is well trained. Anything bad habit your older one has the puppy is surely to pick up on.

    Good luck on your decision.

  12. #10
    maggieandfinn's Avatar
    maggieandfinn is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    506

    DefaultRe: Should we get a second lab now or wait?

    Quote Originally Posted by wyntercreek labradors uk
    OK this is just my opinion.
    I would not leave it too long before you get another pup as it seems you have made up your mind to have one.
    Do not get a baby (7/8 weeks) with your own dog
    Labs as you know are very playful but clumsy and can easy end up hurting the young pup (sometimes very seriously and could result in death)not because they intend to hurt the pup its just that accidents happen.
    So go for something around the 3 or 4 month age group that should be able to move out of the way quicker than the baby 8 week old.plus its bones are a little stronger
    Also your own dog will benefit from the interaction of having another dog to play with, humans cannot provide this type of interaction.
    Regardss from JT Wyntercreek labradors .com
    I will take what you are saying into consideration but I also want to point out that Maggie is a small lab (48 pounds) and has been lots of other dogs and puppies of all sizes and we have not had any issues. She spent a little bit of time with an 8 week old lab puppy that our rescue had in Sept and she did wonderful with him. We also spent 10 days with my parents and in law over Christmas. In-laws have 2 westies 12 and 13 yrs of age both around 15 pounds and once again no problems. My parents have a yorkie puppy who was just 12 weeks old while we were there who weighed 3 pounds and they played the whole time. I feel as long as myself or my husband is there at all times when they are playing we won't have any problems with injury to a puppy. We put Maggie in these situations as a way to test her with a smaller dog to make sure we knew how she would handle it.

    And I feel the same way about the dogs playing with each other. There will be many benefits including being able to tire each other out Thanks for the advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25