Just a few days remaining
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a few days remaining

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

DefaultJust a few days remaining

in the 2006-2007 waterfowl season here in TX. I'm always sad to see it come to an end because it means the dawgs and handlers are each getting another year older and we can only hope for God's forbearance for one more season together.

Here's Magnum, now retired, who turned 12 last September, with his 4 year old daughter Ria up on our hot water dawg shower base posing after the morning hunt. We managed only 3 Gadwalls but that's certainly as good as the sparse pickings some other folks seem to be reporting in our area.

The highlight of the morning was when 100 or so mallards circled us three time, twice side slipping with wings cupped, and we held off shooting because we just knew they were gonna land. Yeah right! How many times this season I've let them have "just one more pass" at under 40 yards and they never came back. I swear Cappy gives me the most evil eye when I let that happen. Back home with Cappy and Remi doing their typical ready-to-jump-down pose. You see, they know that showers follow the return and then LUNCH follows that.

The whole time while Cappy and Ria (today's designated hunters) were being washed and the ATV and trailer cleaned up, 'Ole Magnum was proudly parading around the yard with a Gadwall of his choosing in-mouth. Talk about a proud 'ole fella.
    Remi and Rusty aren't my whole life. They're trying to fill the hole in my heart left by Cappy's passing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Just a few days remaining

Again, great pictures.
    ***sigh*** the last shot. He's a beauty, and you have so much LAND!!

Remi always looks so serious lately. LOL
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Awwwww! Magnum is just lovely!

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I hope you have a wonderful few last days of this season. Magnum looks like he's still got it at least in his heart bless the old boy.

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by zoesmom
    you have so much LAND!! Remi always looks so serious lately. LOL
    Ok Linda ... How's this? Cap and Remi harmonizing with "Iz" doing their rendition of "Ovah da Rainbow". By the way. over Remi's shoulder in this pic next to the Pagoda is the exterior entrance into our guest quarters. Bedroom, full bath, full kitchen and living/dining combo. You and Cliff are always welcome, and double so with Zoe girl who we'll make into a full fledged duck dawg!

Or how 'bout Remi lovin on her Daddy a 'lil for a good hunt together ...

Or maybe this one where she's loaded up just before we begin the ATV ride back to where we park the truck and trailer at the highway entrance to our property. If you look carefully just under Remi's ear in this pic, you can see the white F-150 in the distance. That's 1/2 mile away!

She's a VERY happy and good natured dawg who's main goal in life (other than snacks) is hunting or doing just about anything with Cappy and Daddy.
    Remi and Rusty aren't my whole life. They're trying to fill the hole in my heart left by Cappy's passing.

Thunders Mom is offline Senior Member

Love your stories!!!! Magnum's duck in the last shot looks like its saying let me go.

It's not the destination, it's the journey!

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Awww Magnum looks so proud. How does he take the retirement?
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

I love that last picture of Magnum. Magnum's heart and mind are in it, but we are so scared that the cold water will too hard on him and if he would get stuck in the pond, we don't think his artritic legs could get him out. When we lived in Illinois, Magnum would sit on a dog ramp in the icey cold Misissippi River just waiting for someone to shot some ducks.

Veronica,
    He wasn't too keen at first, but as long as he gets to go, he's good. He doesn't ride in a crate anymore because of his arthritis. It really hard for him to stay in a crate, so we put his bed in the folded down back seat of the Suburban and he rides in style. This way he can move around. Another thing, he's almost deaf. So we can't take a chance. So we keep him close.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Thanks Jim. I love Remi pics. She has so many expressions. I really do love her serious look, though.

and thanks for the invitation. I would really love to visit; however, you know Hawaii and its quarantine law. Zoe will forever remain in Hawaii, she will be a crab hunting, sandball chasing lab. :-\
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast