New Lab Owner Puppy Advice
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Lab Owner Puppy Advice

DefaultNew Lab Owner Puppy Advice

I want to thank each and everyone of the members of this forum who gave me such great advice and constructive criticism yesterday with regard to my dog, Brody. He had been chewing up my walls and was expressing a lot of destructive behavior.

After the long, and somewhat abusive thread, I copied the information needed and removed it. To those of you who showed no self restraint, common sense or common courtesy, your parents must be so proud of the tactless lot of you. Even if your statements were "meant well" they were still harsh and uncalled for and you should be ashamed of yourselves. >

Now that the unpleasantness is out of the way...

Yesterday evening, after spending a good 45 minutes playing with him and loving on him, I visited a pet store and Target where I purchased a crate, crate bed, a couple of Kong's, some heavy duty large stuffed toys (suspicious chicken...etc) and a bunch of natural treats.

I filled the Kong's with the treats and was astonished to see how well he took to the toy.

I removed the basket of toys and replaced it with a larger, more shallow basket, where I left only 4 of his new large toys, all others were placed in the deep basket to be kept in the closet for rotation to prevent his becoming bored. I played with him for a good 30 minutes after getting home and the next thing I knew, he was zonked out! I actually think he snored a bit while laying next to me working on my PC.

Again this morning, I was running late, but managed to get in 20 minutes of goof time with him before leaving for the office and my BF spent a good hour goofing with him after he'd dropped me off at my office.

I have sought out some local doggie daycares so that I can take him at least once a week to interact with other dogs, he needs some pals. You were all correct, most people schedule play dates for their children, why should a dog be any different? Because of this, he will start a weekly schedule for play days after he gets neutered next week.

I have purchased several of the books suggested via Amazon.com and expect them by tomorrow.

Everyones advice and constructive criticism was well received and is completely invaluable, as you can see, from my lack of experience in raising a dog from a pup into a well behaved adult.

I see how much better behaved he is when I tire him out because he is no longer bored and feels like I am paying attention to him rather than being annoyed by him and ignoring him.

I feel like a hoser for never having thought of those things in the first place. Doh!

Most sincere thanks to all of you.

Cheers,
    Brody's Mom

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: New Lab Owner Puppy Advice

It's so nice to see when our advice is taken. Although I don't think I replied in that thread for some reason. I'll have to go back and check it out.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Oh wait, you removed the whole thread? How come?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sounds like you're on the right path.

May there be many Brody snores in your future!

momof3inbc Guest

I am pleased to see you were able to take some of the advice into consideration and hopefully you will be able to modify some of your schedule(s) in order to accomodate your pooch. Like I stated this morning, it can be done (trust me I have really had to juggle with my fam-damily).

I hope the books, behaviour modification, effort and whatever else you can do help you in your quest for no more wall chewing and a happy relationship with your dog.

Honestly we are all here to ensure that both dog and owner are happy...and a lot of us unfortunately have worked in rescue and have seen a lot of heartache.

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

A very hearty congratulations to you for accepting some of the
    "tough love"! ;D
    You are now probably on your way to "The best Dog/Friend you've ever had"!!

It sounds like your on the right track. It's great to see them tired out after playing. Here are a few suggestions for some other toys I've found helpful when my schedule is hectic. I have the second one the Tricky treat ball and I normally put half of Mocha's evening meal in it when I leave. It keeps her busy and keeps her mind stimulated for a while. I've also heard a lot of good reviews for the Everlasting Treat ball.

Everlasting Treat ball
    http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...ball&N=2023689

Tricky Treats ball

Talking treat ball

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

That is great news and just know that everyone wants to see you both be happy and have the best possible relationship.

Don't be too hard on yourself for not thinking of many of these things. If you have never had a dog before, no way you could have known. Before I started doing my research before getting Tal I had no idea of some of the things either. It's always a learning process.

Keep up the good work and you gotta remember we are all here for eachother.

Guess I missed the drama in the other thread. But, glad to hear your fur-kid got tired and that you are sticking around. Hope to hear of all his antics in the days and years to come.

I followed most of the original thread and sometimes people do get a bit emotional when discussing the care and training of dogs, and here, Labs in particular. I am glad you have taken the advice to heart and will do your best to raise that pup properly. We are here always to answer any questions you may have in the future.
    I don't know where you live in Houston but the boys and I are regulars at the Millie Bush Bark Park. Once your pup recovers from his neuter and has all of his shots you should bring him out to socialize and SWIM. It's the greatest exercise and Labs love it. Here is a link to the park information:
    http://www.pct3.hctx.net/PGeorge/BarkPark.htm
    This park is located in George Bush Park off Westheimer Parkway west of Highway 6.
    An even bigger park is about to open this spring and we can't wait. It is located north of I-10 on Highway 6 just north of Patterson Road. Here is a link to an article and photos:
    http://www.houstondogpark.org/news5.htm
    Stay in touch as a couple of us JL'ers frequently meet at the park on weekends.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast