"Silver lab" in my new obedience class
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Silver lab" in my new obedience class

Default"Silver lab" in my new obedience class

Ralphie (my pug) and I started our new obedience class tonight. There are only four dogs in the class this time which I love. A black lab, an Akita, what I thought was a stocky weim, and Ralphie. I stayed after class and was talking to the trainer and asked, very cautiously, if that was a weim or did the person think they had a "silver lab". You guessed it! Paid a fortune for a silver lab. The trainer said it has serious temperament problems already. She has trained innumerable dogs, and has done wonders with Cinder when she was a puppy, and this dog tried to bite her when she put a collar on it. No one can touch it's back, and it is very skittish. It's eyes are such a pale blue they are almost white. The guy was all excited when he first came in and was telling her about the wonderful "charcoal" labs his breeder also specializes in. How do I go to six weeks of class and not say something? Or what would I even say at this point that would be constructive?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: "Silver lab" in my new obedience class

I dunno..I think you might need to develop a rapor before saying anything. The owner could take it the wrong way. I think I would lay low for awhile.

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

I'd put a little gate keeper on mouth and keep it there for the un of the class. It's like trying to tell someone who's in love, they are in love with the wrong person

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

I'd personally leave it until he was bragging in front of me, and then I would basically make an ass out of him.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

I would just let it go. Or atleast not say anything confrontational.
    Or you could start out by saying...Is your dog a mix? :P hmm maybe that would be confrontational..

I have had obedience classes with labradoodles...people paid over 1000 dollars for them...I just stayed in my corner without a word. I don't know what I could have said...I know how you feel....
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I think I'd bite my tongue, at least for awhile. I'm sure, eventually, the opportunity will arise to discuss breed standards, responsible breeders,etc. Even if it's a tie in with the dog's behavior.

You know, on another forum I check out, a Lab "breeder" posted about the silver & charcoal Labs they breed. Wonder if it's the same "breeder"?

Say nothing, can't break the guys heart, they are so fragile..............

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Done is done. We had people in class that had paid mucho bucks for petstore/puppy mill puppies - you can't remake the past. The fact that he's enrolled the dog in class and is trying to make a good pet of it - good for him.

It's the breeders that need a slap upside the head, not the buyers after the fact.

I'd be a smart ass and have a shirt made that said something like "labs come in three colors..don't be fooled"

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Oh boy. : Well, I guess there is really nothing to say at this point. He's already got the dog, and is obviously very proud of himself, so what can you say? :-\ Hopefully with some training and socialization the dog will improve. I guess at least you have to give him props for coming to class with him.

On another note, I'm glad there are just four of you in the class! That should make for some good personalized instruction.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast