summer dilemma... (long)

Thread: summer dilemma... (long)

Defaultsummer dilemma... (long)

I am going to be doing an intensive (read: boring, yet requiring lots of hours) internship with a major law firm this summer in addition to taking 2 classes. Due to my boyfriend and I having opposite law school schedules (I take all my classes in the evening, he takes them in the morning), the most Gabby is ever alone is 4 hours. On the days that I can't be home, she goes to day camp or hangs out all day with our trainer.

Well... with my internship and the BF going to Germany to study, it's looking like the summer will be different. I have a bunch of options (which is great!), but I'm having trouble sorting through all of them. So I figured you guys would have opinions on what is better...

1. Daycamp every day

2. Hiring a dog walker to come in midday

3. A mix of dog walker/day camp

3. Having her go to our trainer's and have him work with her during the day (and I pick her up every evening).

The professional, licensed dog walkers around here book up quickly over summer vacation times, so I'm trying to get this figured out early.

Also, my trainer feels that day camp every day would promote excessive "doggy" behaviors (humping, etc). I'm not sure if this is an attempt to get me to pay more to have Gabs come to him during the days, or if it's actually true. What do you think?

Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: summer dilemma... (long)

I know my local doggy day care doesn't advocate everyday. The owner feels that it is just too much physically and emotionally especially for a young dog. She does advocate a mix of say mon-wed-fri at day care, and something else the other 2 days. In your case maybe one day with the trainer and one day with the dog walker?

I would say mix it up also. It would probably be good for her to have a day to rest between daycare visits. Maybe one day a week with the trainer also. That's really nice that you have so many options.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I would mix it up. Our trainer told us that dogs that go to day care every day come to expect that high level of activity each day.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

No to the day care every day for the reasons others have said.

I would opt for the day care once or twice a week and then have a dog walker come on the other days.

Great! Thanks for your thoughts!

I'm kind of jealous- I think Gabby's going to have way more fun than me this summer!

I agree with the others and with you it sounds like she will have a lot of fun and you probably not so much.. Good luck.
    I would go 2 days day care, 2 days walker 1 day trainer I think. M&W day care, Tues Thurs walker, and Friday trainer or something like that.

I agree with mixing it up. I would work for an equal balance of free play time, training and structured exercise (walking). Lucky Gabby - sounds like a dog's dream vacation.