Neuter update- need advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neuter update- need advice

DefaultNeuter update- need advice

OK. Kimba is home from vet. I feel soooo sorry for him. He is REALLY out of it. What has everyone's experience been with post op? I need people to reassure me that he is ok. When he is awake he is crying a lot and whining. Then he dozes off for a bit. I have him on my bed now and he seems very comfortable (he knows a good bed when he lays on one :P). On the drive home he made crying noises I have never heard a dog make before, it scared the be-jesus out of me.
    POOR KIMBA. :'(

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Neuter update- need advice

Some dogs do better with the anesthetic than others. Freedom took a good 48 hours to totally shake off the effects. I think there ar others on here with similar experiances. I think all you can do is make sure he's comfortable and stays hydrated

How do I keep him hydrated, he barely wakes up....?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

I just made sure there was water available and he knew where it was. Freedom didn't actually sleep that much he sort of cried and dozed off then jerked awake, so when I helped him up to go out we walked past the dish and stood there, and he usually sniffed and lapped some up. So stood there on the trip out and then again on the trip back in.

Dani is offline Senior Member

You need to keep him really warm at this time. Maybe have a blanket covering him...warmth I am told helps bring them out of the anthestic smoother and faster (from my vet) so whenever we've brought fosters home from surgery, we've always let them lay on the couch wrapped in a nice blanket. I only had one that took a few days to come completely out of it...most were raring and ready to go the next day. Rider was ready to play that night.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Keeping him warm although now he is laying on blanket in living room and covered with 2 blankies. I don't think it is the anesthetic, it is the super duper morphine-like pain killers they gave him. I think he feels REALLY high and is uneasy about it.

boonesmom Guest

poor guy- don't have any advice here. when we brought boone home, it was like he hadn't had anything done. sorry that kimba is so out of it. please keep me posted on how he is doing. and give him a big kiss.

Keep us posted on Kimba ... I hope he feels better soon. Raleigh didn't have any trouble; I don't remember any reaction to the procedure, the stiches, or post-op meds. Just being curious ... what post-op meds did they give?

Is it horrible I cannot remember the name of it right now?? ???....it was something I signed a release for them to give to him because we could have opted to not give him any meds and I felt he should be comfortable. It was a shot of something and I do recall the vet mentioning it was like morphine (but not that of course).
    Found it- called Buprenorphine.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Poor Kimba, hope he feels better soon.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast