snow nose and other coloring changes

Thread: snow nose and other coloring changes

Defaultsnow nose and other coloring changes

Updated to clarify: I understand snow nose, I am wondering about the reddish hairs now around his mouth and on his feet.

I have noticed since Barnsley's nose turned pink that the areas around his eyes got lighter and now I have noticed that the hair around his mouth seems to have taken on a reddish hue as well as the fur between his front paws. Is this normal? His back paws are not any different than they were. :-\
    Any one else noticed this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: snow nose and other coloring changes

Yes, I've noticed this! Sundance's nose has gone from coal back to a pinkish hue since the weather got cold. We saw the most drastic color change after he stayed at a (mostly outdoor) kennel over the holidays.

I've heard it referred to as "winter nose," which I assume means the pigment will grow dark again when the temps warm up in spring?

The fur on Sun's back has gotten much darker during the winter, too.

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

Winter nose, snow nose, same thing. The reason isn't exactly because its cold, its because there is less sunlight in the winter. The dark areas in Oona's coat get darker in the winter as well.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Buck's got the snow nose as well. And he has the reddish hair between his paws on the underside. I thought his pads were bleeding when I first noticed it and freaked out. But turned out it was just a color change in the hair. His back paws are just normal.

I have not noticed any other color changes...
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

When the hair changes so a rust color, it's usually saliva stain. Is he licking his feet a lot?

No he doesn't lick his feet, but I may have a clue. He chews on nylabones a lot and balls while he holds them in his paws. Maybe that is it. Thanks for the hint. I wonder why this never happened until now. :-\ Seems kind of strange since he has done these things for so long and never had the rust colored hair.

That's probably exactly what it is...from holding the bones while he chews on them. 2 of Grace's feet are discolored like that from chewing on them. So if he doesn't chew on them or lick them, it may very well be from the bones.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckyball
    Buck's got the snow nose as well. And he has the reddish hair between his paws on the underside. I thought his pads were bleeding when I first noticed it and freaked out. But turned out it was just a color change in the hair. His back paws are just normal.

I have not noticed any other color changes...
    You wouldn't notice a color change in Buck because he is already dark. The color change is most noticeable in the Labs that are creamy white, and only the owner would probably notice it.
    As far as Bucks feet are you walking him where there is a lot of road salt?
    Olie