Dogs that pee or mark inside.

Thread: Dogs that pee or mark inside.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

DefaultDogs that pee or mark inside.

I didn't want to hijack a post so thought I should start another.

There has been another post on male or female dogs and discussion about dogs marking and peeing inside being a housetraining issue.

I adopted Ernie (Kassa littermate) after Kassa died. He was 3 and untrained.

He is now housetrained at home.On walks I don't let him pee for 10 mins the he is allowed to go once. If another dog comes to the house or he is at someone elses house I have to leave him on a lead as he will pee against their couch. I don't let him off the lead when out. If he does go to pee I yank him and growl and put him outside.

From what I understand he has always done this and the few times he came to my house before I got him he did it every time.

How do you stop this behaviour?

also I have tried every method I know to stop this.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Dogs that pee or mark inside.

I am sure this is a marking behaviour. I have no idea how to stop it short of what you are doing, keeping him on lead and then give him a stern correction the 2nd you can tell he's going to start.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

On walks I don't let him pee for 10 mins the he is allowed to go once.
    How on earth do you manage this? Moreover, why?

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

You have to catch them in the act and then act like the sky is falling down. I adopted Jake when he had just turned 5. He had been neutered the previous year and was pretty much an outside dog. He learned housetraining pretty fast, but he liked to mark against couches, sheets that might be hanging off the bed, chair legs, table legs ... someone suggested that when I caught him in the act to act like he had committed the most horrible sin ... I did and now he doesn't. LOL ... He will try to mark while on walks and I just pull him back to me and say no. My little cocker/shizu mix is another story. He never did the marking thing until I had 3 new males on board. I have tried everything to make him stop and it just isn't going to happen. He can mark so many times I can't figure out where he is getting it in him to do so. I either keep him crated when I can't watch him or put a diaper on him. He has a bossy personality, too ... growls and everything is "his". At 12, I'm not going into a heavy regiment with him; just handle the best way I can.
    I've seen Dutch sniff, like he smells where one of the others have marked and I just tell him don't you dare even think about it. Who knows what he does when I am not looking!
    I think it's a training issue, but also a natural thing for dogs to do. I really do "feel your pain" though, Chris and you're right; it's a nightmare because they hit the side of the chair, couch or whatever they aim at.
    Jake has a minor SA problem and if I leave him uncrated when I leave the house, he will work himself up barking and then mark all over the place. So, he gets crated. You're also dealing with what I have with my rescues and getting a dog that has gotten into the bad habit before he came to you.
    Just try and catch him and act like a nut: "What in the hell do you think you are doing you crazy dog; don't you ever do that again, are you nuts?" and put his butt outside. At least that is what worked for us!

Caseys Mom Guest

The first night I had my rescue boy, Hershey, home he decided to lift on my kitchen cabinets. I shrieked, grabbed him by the scruff and hauled his big, chocolate butt out the door. I'll never forget the flabbergasted look on his face! He never tried lifting in my house or other houses again. I did still have to keep an eye on him if we were someplace like the vet's where there had been many other dogs marking but, like with Dutch, a stern "don't you dare" when he got that marking look in his eye would head him off.
    On walks I don't let him pee for 10 mins
    I'm wondering about that, too?

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paddysmom
    On walks I don't let him pee for 10 mins the he is allowed to go once.
    How on earth do you manage this? Moreover, why?
    He took me for a walk. Soh Hoon his previous owner had let him do what ever he wanted and couldn't control him. I struggled. Even with a halti. My family were worried he would pull me onto the road. I hated walking him, but he needed it for his hips. He also had an old habit of flicking his head out of a tight collar and taking off.

A trainer told me not to let him stop. She said he was in charge and I had to take charge. Usual stuff. Not let him out the door first, make him come to me when putting on a lead etc.

It was really hard. Me drag...Ernie pulll... drag..pull. She told me everytime he stopped I had to turn and go towards home. Keep turning so he didn't know what I was going to do. We barely left the street for months. Some days now I hardly know he is on the other end of the lead. Other days it is work in progess. I cheated a bit and walked the first 10 mins with him on the road side. No trees posts to pee on.

Did all this make sense?

Thanks for the advise.
    I think it is time to ask a friend if I can let him off the lead and see if he will pee on her couch and catch him the act. I love this black boy to bits,but as the saying goes. God loves a tryer and he can be very trying at times. ;D

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kassabella

I think it is time to ask a friend if I can let him off the lead and see if he will pee on her couch and catch him the act. I love this black boy to bits,but as the saying goes. God loves a tryer and he can be very trying at times. ;D

My old couch is at your disposal ;D

Won't someone please feed me!