purple ear stuff

Thread: purple ear stuff

Defaultpurple ear stuff

Ok, I got all the ingredients at the drug store on my way home, I mixed it all up. Now what? It says to "fill the dogs ear with the solution". How full is full? Do I really fill her ear up? She hates it when I wipe it out with a moist cotton swab. Any recomondations on how to do my first cleaning with this? I bought a "eye dropper" type thing, should I use this to "squirt" it in? Seeing she has "bad" ears I would like to make this as enjoyable as possible because its going to be part of our schedule untill they clear up.
    Thanks guys-

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: purple ear stuff

I use an eye dropper myself for Abby. I usually pour the solution into a shot glass and warm it up in my hands a wee bit first. I figure anything cold going in your ear must suck, so I try to make it at least my body temp warm.

Have her sit, I grab Abby by the ear gently and open her ear up. I do not shoot it directly into her ear, rather I let it run down the flap inside instead. I use one full dropper full, to one and a half. She didn't like it when I shot it in the first time. Then, close her ear and with a kleenex in your hand, massage her ear area. This will catch any juice that squeezes out, and then you've got it handy to give her ear a quick wipe with afterwards. Then I let her shake it out, and do her other ear.

Abby doesn't particularly enjoy it, but she sits still for it everytime.

Good luck with Graycie!
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

ThanksTangerineFizz , you have been very helpfull today... I figured this would be how I would do it, but ya never know. Thanks for the suggestion on not doing it cold- that would suck

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Try doing it outside. When they shake, some of it will come out, and may stain light colored surfaces.

Zoe doesn't like eardrops, and I have to wedge her between my knees. :
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Good suggestion on the outside part! I didn't even think of that, however I should have seeing when I mixed it up a dab got on the CREAM colored counter top I washed it and washed it and it's still there- yikes! Will Gracies ears be purple too??

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Her ears may be purple for a little while, but it goes away.

It seems to mostly stain plastic, counter material, fabric. It washed off my hands well.

Hope it helps Gracie's ears!
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

Hmmmmmm... I don't think it will make her ears purple..... I have black and chocolate Labs, but I don't see any purple in there after I use it.

I also poured some into an OLD ear cleaning solution bottle that I had..... it can be squirted directly into the ear. I run hot tap water over the outside of the bottle a couple minutes to warm the solution just a bit. It is winter here and the room temperature is pretty cool, especially when you are considering the alcohol. It won't hurt to completely fill up their ear canal, that's what we do at our shelter.... we use a saline solution there.... but we fill up the ear canal.

I always give my dogs a treat after the ear washing procedure. That way they seem more tolerant.....

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

maggiesmomm is offline Senior Member

A good ear massage does wonders for convincing them that it isn't so bad. Maggie gladly sits through ear treatment now just for the ear rub at the end!