Male or Female Labrador...
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Male or Female Labrador...

DefaultMale or Female Labrador...

Hi everybody. I have a question. I am hoping to get a new Lab this spring. I lost my last Lab in November. I miss her terribly. Both of my Labs were female. I was thinking about getting a male this time. I was wanting to hear some opinions on which you prefer, male or female and why. Or what made you choose either a male or a female. I have only had the 2 females. My black lab was very outgoing and didn't care who she was around. My Chocolate Lab was my shadow. Whatever room I was in, she always wanted to be there. If I went to bed and one of the kids were on the computer, sometimes she would stay with them until they went to bed. Then she would come lay down in my room with me. My black Lab didn't become my shadow until about the last year or so of her life. Are there really any differences in their temperaments (male or female)? Or does it just really depend on the personality of that particular Lab? The Lab will be my pet. I am not going to train for hunting, show or anything like that. And they will be spayed or neutered probably at 6 months of age or whatever my vet recommends.

Thanks everybody! Have a great day! Tina

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Male or Female Labrador...

Welcome. Sorry for your loss.

I personally prefer males, because I have found them to be more in tune with me, easier to train and less "aloof". But that is me. I think it comes down to the personality of the dog too.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

I'd echo what Dani said. I think males tend to be more what you described as "shadow".

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Angus' breeder told us the same thing. I am very sorry for your loss.

Finnigan is offline Senior Member

my female is my husband's shadow but that goes back to being the person who was home almost 24/7 with herfor the first two years - he also took her with him to wherever he went 90% of the time. she tends to be more "aloof" as one pp said but that is in comparison to my boy. My male is a very malleable puppy who will sit with anyone and wants to be near us and other male labs seem to be the same way (we don't know any other females to compare to) the only thing with my male is he is much more of a trouble maker. If she is my princess (and she has been elevated to this rank due to her brother ;D) He is the court fool and is willing to try/do anything!

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

I have 2 females. A Lab and a Cairn. I love them and I find them to be more aloof and independent than male dogs I have met.
    I find that most male Labs I have met are more snuggly and crave more attention.

My next Lab I would like a big goofy male.

Whatever you choose, be sure and post pictures!

I find that most male Labs I have met are more snuggly and crave more attention.

My next Lab I would like a big goofy male.
    You just described my Dutchboy!!

I have 3 males and 3 females. My females are sweet and cuddly when THEY want to be or when THEY need it. The males are cuddly ALL the time and like you described, my shadows!

PhoebeJeebies is offline Senior Member

I always had male dogs growing up but now have a female. I think it really comes down to the personality of the dog because my female is my shadow much of the time, just as a male would be. She is super-friendly (even more than an average lab...she thinks all people are her friends)...so 'aloof' would be the farthest thing from my mind when describing her!
    Becca & Phoebe

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Welcome.

I am sorry for your loss. The heartbreak of loosing a beloved companion is hard.

I have had both. I had a female. I adopted her brother when she died. Never again will I have a male.

I absolutely hate...hate... the leg lifting and peeing on everything. At least if a female dog has an accident/willfull or not you don't have to clean the couch AND carpet

I know people say their males are more loving, easier to train, but for me it has been the opposite.
    I think it is personality, and training have a lot to do with it. .I have had a trained Lab and an untrained one, and the untrained one is very hard work.

I got Kassa as a pup. Kassa was a softy. We had a wonderful bond. She was my soul mate. She was easy to train, my shadow, and very friendly. Everyone thought she was adorable. If I frowned at her she would rattle in her paws. She did get up to mischief and as a typical Lab sometimes I could have strangled her.

Ernie. He is rule unto himself. He wasn't trained and couldn't careless about people. He is destructive, hard to train (probably because he is an adult) and very willfull. A street boy I call him. Ernie can be my shadow if he wants something. He "marks" people. Again could be part of his early life. But at the end of the day I couldn't be without my busy boy. I love him.

Which ever one you choose I am sure you will enjoy your new Labby.
    ]

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

I absolutely hate...hate... the leg lifting and peeing on everything. At least if a female dog has an accident/willfull or not you don't have to clean the couch AND carpet
    Oh yeh, I have to agree with that. I have 7 dogs and the oldest (one not being a lab) marks over the other dogs ... I have to watch him constantly and crate him if I can't. It's like he is saying, mine, mine, this is mine that is mine, mine, mine. That is basically a training thing which my 12 year old isn't budging on ... again, he is not a lab and never again will I have a little napoleon dog!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast