No sleep/ears- need suggestions, PLEASE...

Thread: No sleep/ears- need suggestions, PLEASE...

DefaultNo sleep/ears- need suggestions, PLEASE...

suggestions please....
    I had a long post all ready to post, but I was rambling because im so tired. :'(
    So to sum it up-

-Tundra and Grace sleep with us, we dont want them to now, but have allowed them to for 16 months *thats how old they are*. :
    -They sneak up on our bed- I wake up, say "pillow up" they get off. (this happens about a dozen times all night) There beds are at the end of our bed.
    -Grace has been waking me up on and off for a month now at 3 am whining (the last 3 nights every night-yawn....)
    -some nights she stands at the door in our bedroom, so I think she needs to go out, but as soon as I get up, she hops on my spot.
    -I either go in the guest bed (where she follows me) or slide her off the bed and try and fall back asleep. If I slide her over, she gets on my head. ???
    -if I get her off the bed she will either go lay down, or keep whining.
    -last night she woke me up at 3:00am, seems her ears were really bothering her. We went to the vet last week for this reason (shaking her head, rubbing them against you, one was red etc.) no infection. He said she had a little yeast, and gave me Oti cleanse stuff. It seem to burn her ears- when I use it her poor eyes pop out of her head.
    -if she doesn't have an infection, how can I sooth her ears?
    -last question.. If I start putting the pups in there crates at night, will they think they have done something wrong?? ??? We are at this point. My bf has had it, hes sick of waking up to me in the guest room, or on the couch and im sick of waking up at 3am to whining dog + the 12-15 other times I have to wake up and tell them to go get on there pillow. I feel like im a walking zombie! Please, any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: No sleep/ears- need suggestions, PLEASE...

Best ear stuff ever...right here.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ears.html

The ear stuff posted earlier is a good suggestion try it just be ware it's Purple so it makes a bit of a mess but it will sooth her ears and get rid of any yeast.

As far as the bed thing. You let them up there for 16 months so it's going to take a long time before they will not try to get up there. I would crate them at night if you really don't want them up there. Ignore any barking or whining it will be annoying and you may not get any sleep for several nights but it's the only way to make it stop. Any aknowledgement will be the attention they wanted and they will continue to do it. It's much easier said than done I know but it's doable. And DO NOT go sleep in the guest bed and let her have your spot!!! It's your bed if you don't want her in it don't let her in it or she's never stop.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bacatherine
    The ear stuff posted earlier is a good suggestion try it just be ware it's Purple so it makes a bit of a mess but it will sooth her ears and get rid of any yeast.
    I use this stuff all the time and really want to know what you guys do that makes it messy? I have never had an issue with it at all.

BUT, it does work absolute wonders. I haven't had an issue with Abby's ears <knock wood> for over 9 months now, before that it was trips to the vets every other week. Get yourself the ingredients, follow the instructions and your dog will thank you, and you will thank you.

We have a night whiner too. She doesn't do it too often anymore, but every so often. You really need to tell her firmly where she needs to be at 3:00 a.m. (on her pillow it sounds like) and ignore her from thereafter. We used to let her on the bed after her early hours potty break, but that turned into a disaster as we humans were waking up shaped like pretzels and not getting enough, or good sleep. Just hold out when she whines. Do not let her up, put her on her bed if you have to, but guaranteed after a week or getting no sympathy from you, she will figure it out and sleep on her own bed. Abby does now, every so often she pushes the envelope but it's once every 3 months or so. She gets told where to go and that's the end of it.

Good luck.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Oona had a reaction last year to the Oto Ceptic. I don't use it anymore.
    Olie

I would use a crate instead of just telling her to get on her pillow. It doesn't seem like she has much respect for that idea since you have to give it 12-15 times a night.

The first couple of nights of them in their crates are going to be rough. I would try to do it like you do for a new puppy coming home- blanket over the back half of the crate (if it's wire), a clock radio or something playing, you being visible to them...

If you don't want them on the bed at all and you've let them be up there for 16 months, you may end up crating the dogs at night from now on. It takes 100x more repetition to unlearn a behavior...

Thanks for the replys. Also, for the link to the ear solution. I just called my pharmacy, and im going to get it at lunch time- they had all the stuff. Shes got "something" going on with her ears, this is ok to use even if last week the vet didn't find an infection? I will probably go with the witch hazel as it seems the alchol really just hurts her.

TangerineFizz: Im glad im not alone in the night whining- I worry something is really wrong with her, but now im wondering if it's just a habit and she knows as soon as she whines I hop right out of bed.

We are building a house right now, so we are living with my Mom and Dad untill it's done. I just learned she went and tried to wake up Grammy and Grampy before me. She was in there room at 2:00 crying. My Dad just tells her to go lay down. That must be when she came in crying to me... If shes doing that, it makes me think last night her ears probably were hurting her.

The number one advice I would tell people is DONT let your pup start sleeping with you when they are small. "waking up shaped like pretzels" would exactly describe how the last 6 months have been. I have had more back aches and sleepless nights since they have gotten bigger. It's like sleeping with 4 people in a double bed. But, we have allowed it - so like mentioned, it will be 100X harder to stop this seeing we have encourged it.

I think im going home, doing Gracies ears and dusting off Gracie and Tundra's crates. I feel guilty, but it's not even like they hate them- so I suppose after a couple nights they will be ok with it. Thank you all so much.

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Heids533
    Thanks for the replys. Also, for the link to the ear solution. I just called my pharmacy, and im going to get it at lunch time- they had all the stuff. Shes got "something" going on with her ears, this is ok to use even if last week the vet didn't find an infection? I will probably go with the witch hazel as it seems the alchol really just hurts her.

TangerineFizz: Im glad im not alone in the night whining- I worry something is really wrong with her, but now im wondering if it's just a habit and she knows as soon as she whines I hop right out of bed.

We are building a house right now, so we are living with my Mom and Dad untill it's done. I just learned she went and tried to wake up Grammy and Grampy before me. She was in there room at 2:00 crying. My Dad just tells her to go lay down. That must be when she came in crying to me... If shes doing that, it makes me think last night her ears probably were hurting her.

The number one advice I would tell people is DONT let your pup start sleeping with you when they are small. "waking up shaped like pretzels" would exactly describe how the last 6 months have been. I have had more back aches and sleepless nights since they have gotten bigger. It's like sleeping with 4 people in a double bed. But, we have allowed it - so like mentioned, it will be 100X harder to stop this seeing we have encourged it.

I think im going home, doing Gracies ears and dusting off Gracie and Tundra's crates. I feel guilty, but it's not even like they hate them- so I suppose after a couple nights they will be ok with it. Thank you all so much.
    The ear stuff is safe to use even if the vet didn't find anything, I think. But I am not a vet nor do I play one on t.v., but I will admit that after being so frustrated with Abby's ear issues, I started using it and haven't looked back. I use the witch hazel myself, it also has a cooling effect that I like since her ears were super hot before too.

I truly think it is just a habit now. At least that's what it was/is with Abby. She often will wake up my SU at 5:30 a.m. ( he normally is up this hour anyways) but once in a while he isn't and if he's not, she wakes him up with "fake" I have to go pee whines and monkey noises, and as soon as he is halfway down the stairs, she is back up on the bed with me. That just confirms for me that her 3 a.m. monkey business is a sham and an attempt to get on the darn bed.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Finnigan is offline Senior Member

no information on the ears we are lucky and have never had these problems but the waking up thing - ours used to sleep in our room and when they were one on the bed and the other on the bench at the end allwas well but then they both wanted on the bed - we now have a baby gate across the door at all times - they are not allowed in teh bedroom at all but we are stillable to keep the door open for airflow and to hear what they are up to at night. now one goes into the guest room (I think that will be another problem when someone comes to stay but we'll deal with it at that time....) and the other sleeps on teh couch and sometimes in the guest room. The older one (almost three) would sleep until we got up whenever it was - the pup (almost a year) wakes us up no matter the day according to schedule at 6:00 - this too will fade in time. Yours are still young and I know my older one did the whining thing occasionally until she was around two.

The crates are a great idea and the dogs won't think they have done something worng they just have to adhjsut to the new routine....