Puppy too thin?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy too thin?

DefaultPuppy too thin?

Good morning I took my 16 week old pup Cooper in for his vaccination yesterday and the vet said he was on the thin side. He weighed in at 30 pounds. I feed him three cups of eagle pack puppy a day. I don't want to start over feeding he has lots of energy and a man I met walking called him a pork chop! I am not sure how much he should weigh at this point. Any suggestions? ??? ???

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Puppy too thin?

Most vets don't know crap about weight....At 4 months he's in his lean lanky stage most likley growing up but not out yet so he's leggy looking. Is he more of a field lab? Your vet may be used to looking at more bench labs which are normally stockier. If you can post some pictures from the top and side of him standing people on here may be able to give you an opinion but as long as you can feel but not see every rib he's fine. At this age you would rather have him on the thin side than on the heavy side so their joints can develop normally.

Aidan at 18 weeks is 57 pounds....can you post a pic? From the side, above and sitting down..that would help.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

momof3inbc Guest

MAggie is 6 months and weighs 49.5 lbs and vet says she is healthy as a horse....she looks great!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I agree with the above suggestion of posting pictures...one from above and one from the side. Vets tend to go by the charts when analyzing whether a dog is at a correct weight or not. There is an awful lot of variation within the Labrador breed so they come in all shapes and sizes. Show types are stockier, field types are leaner and pet breds could sway either way, usually leaning towards the field look.

Aidan at 18 weeks is 57 pounds
    Wow...are you sure you have a Labrador and not a miniature pony? :P ;D

PhoebeJeebies is offline Senior Member

Phoebe was also 30 lbs at that age. IMO she was a perfect weight...and keeping them on the thin side is not such a bad thing...post pics so we can see
    Becca & Phoebe

Thanks for your feedback it really helps! I am trying to post a picture of him standing but it keeps telling me my file is too large?? any suggestions

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

That weight sounds fine. Weight is very subjective based on the lines of the dog. A field puppy will weigh less than a show/bench puppy....

I would ignore the vet and keep on what you are doing. A skinnier lab is always better on the joints!!!

upload the pictures to photobucket.com or shutterfly.com or a photo storage site like that first. If you use photobucket you can resize them through there.

Attempt #23 good thing you can't see all my failed attempts at attaching a pic.

Here he is eating, He has to eat this way due to his esophagus problem, which I am not sure he really has and will be having him re.xrayes at 6 months.....

[attachment deleted by admin]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast