Hi - New to Forum & Question Fun Training Ideas

Thread: Hi - New to Forum & Question Fun Training Ideas

DefaultHi - New to Forum & Question Fun Training Ideas

Hello. I found this great forum about a month ago, browsed periodically and finally got around to joining. I'm looking for ideas and training help for my 10 mo old chocolate named Jackson - he's very much a great dog "under construction".

Training him has been so much fun - I love watching him as he is learning, as you can almost see his thought process. I've been successful at the some fun tricks and have failed miserably at some of the important, not so fun things like self-control when someone comes to the door, counter surfing, and drop it (rather than --look what I have & catch me if you can). Those were going to be my focus this next few months, but I broke my ankle last week & am on crutches for 6 weeks. I'm changing my focus back to training fun things that don't require me to move to enforce.

I clicker & treat train. So far I've taught him to climb in a box & lay down (useless I know), smell his bum when I say "Jackson, did you fart?"(yes I have a teenage son - that was my son's Xmas gift from Jackson). I saw Luke from Georgia's instructions on the tape placement - I'll try that one. I want to teach him to pick up his toys - we've done some work on that, but I confuse him, so I need some help with that one. Any other ideas?

Jackson will not get as much walking exercise for the next 6 weeks, so I really need to work his brain until I'm back on my feet.
    Thanks for your ideas

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Hi - New to Forum & Question Fun Training Ideas

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry about your ankle. I did the same thing (ankle and foot) 6 years ago. And crutches, well they are the worst!

In terms of what you can teach from a sitting position. Hmmm ... Is he good at catching a treat, or anything being thrown up in the air? Sami loves that game! What about something fun like teaching him to flick a treat off his nose and catch it in the air? You could also work on "hold it", "take it", "drop it", "leave it", etc. You could also keep Jackson busy doing pushups -- sit, down, settle, ... sit, down, settle. Oh, and lots of fetch thrown from the couch!

Hope you have some help around to exercise Jackson for you. I know it has to be tough!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I've been successful at the some fun tricks and have failed miserably at some of the important, not so fun things like self-control when someone comes to the door, counter surfing, and drop it
    Welcome to the club.

So sorry about your ankle! Wow, the timing stinks...I remember 10 months! But it sounds like you are doing great with him.

How about "wave bye bye?" That's one of our favorites. If he knows "shake," you just start lifting your hand a little higher each time. Eventually you can turn your hand around and wave, first from a lower level, then higher...you get the idea.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Welcome.

I am sorry about your ankle.

I taught Kass to pick up her toys. She already knew the find your toy trick so from then it was easy.
    Often she would want to play just as I sat down to watch T.V. Yep they wait until your tired until they start. lol
    So to keep her busy while I sat onthe couch I would hid her toy and tell her to find it. Then treat her. At first it would be somewhere obvious until she got the idea. Then I threw it behind the couch,sat on it or threw it into another room. I also did this with food. Threw some food into another room and tell her to find. At first it kept her busy for ages. She was great with her nose once she got it.

When I taught her to pick up her toys I would say "find toy" she would go and get it and I would hold out the toy basket and say put in basket. After she finished I treated her. It got to the point I said put toys in basket. She would run around and pick them all up then wait for her treat.

I also taught her to get my slippers, and the phone. she took it upon herself to put my shoes away.

When I wanted to teach her bow or down I would wait for her to do it and put a name to it. When she went down on her front paws and bum up.. Then say Bow...good girl. Bow.

As to counter surfing. Ernie is 5 and I have tried everything.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Ernie does look like a pro counter surfer - my guy uses the snatch & grab approach.

Yes the timing does really suck. Around 8 1/2 months Jackson seemed to be afraid of everything, he lost all of his leash manners. I felt we were really working through some of our issues and the last few weeks have been much better. Hope he doesn't regress too far this next month.

Good idea on the drop-it - will help to cut back on the grab& run approach he uses.
    Great ideas everyone - Thanks