I'm sick and tired of it!! (rant about training and behavior)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm sick and tired of it!! (rant about training and behavior)

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

DefaultI'm sick and tired of it!! (rant about training and behavior)

I'll be the first one to admit it. Molly is no angel dog but there are worse things that she could be doing.

She's your typical lab, she wants to get into everything and given the chance she will get into anything (lol). She enjoys shredding paper, stealing shoes/socks, cell phones, tv remotes and anything else she can play "keep away" with. Her intentions aren't always to destroy the item but to rather grab your attention in a "hey look this isn't mine and you better come get it" manner, however if nobody sees her then she'll start to chew on her "prize" as if it belonged to her.

Her most recent stunt was only about an hour ago. My dad is going to California tomorrow and he bought himself a new pair of sunglasses. Why you ask? Well because he left the last pair on top of Molly's crate and she figured it was her job to chew them. So today he leaves the sunglasses on top of Molly's food bin. Why he did this I'm still not sure, but Molly figured it was her job to remove them. She cracked the lens on the one side in her attempts to bring them to my dad. My dad needless to say was livid and who did he take this out on? Well first of course he screamed and yelled at Molly (who came running to me) and then he proceeded to scream and yell at me that my dog ate his glasses and that I need to spend more time with her and spend more time on her training.

Ummmm hello am I missing something here?! I paid to take her to obed class because my parents said she would be fine w/o it. I spend at least 30 minutes to an hour of each day working on issues that I know she has. I take her outside to burn off energy (as well as Abby) and I take both dogs for walks (every day if I can). I feed them, brush them, bathe them, clean their ears and brush their teeth, and it's all my fault that Molly is "bad".

Maybe I'm just insane, but maybe just maybe if they spent half the time I do earning the respect of the two girls by training with them and perhaps feeding them (mostly Molly) then they would respect them as part of the pack. Both girls respect my mom, but my brother and dad are just giant play toys to them (again mostly Molly). I do what I can to re-inforce the good and to correct the negative, but if everyone else in the house isn't on the same page then things aren't going to work correctly. I've told my dad and brother this before, bu t neither of them seem to want to listen to me.

Gahhhhhhh!!!!!
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: I'm sick and tired of it!! (rant about training and behavior)

Man, it really sounds like you all had a bad day.. I dont know what to tell you about the behavior issue. To me it doesnt seem like "bad" behavior, just normal large breed stuff. My first Lab, Tucker was an absolute idiot...and thanks to his moma being one too...we managed to totally ruin a few baskets of laundry and the walls of our previous rental house.
    Tucker was a genious at eating holes in floors/walls/appliances/you name it. He also had a bad habit for turning over 10 gallon aquariums filled with live crickets (to feed our retiles). None of his episodes were to be mean or unruly...I think its just the size of their bodies vs. what they can reach :

Dont get me wrong....I believe in training, but some things like active personalities cannot be avoided. I am sorry your gilrs are upsetting you. Try not to let it get you down....and for your dad....maybe remind him that the girls are teritorial over their things, and not to confuse them by adding "his stuff". Hope you get it all worked out!

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry you're having to experience this. I hope they come around. If they do, the girls behavior will change.

I know Tal always wants to be doing something and he loves to go for walks with me and play retrieve and keep away. I am all too happy to oblige.

You're doing the right thing by them and hopefully the rest of the clan will come around. There is nothing wrong with their behavior....they are just being, well, dogs. Good luck and hope tomorrow is better for ya!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dad needs to understand that his stuff doesn't belong near the dogs. The dogs are being dogs and it sounds like you have worked very hard with them and continue to do so.

You can't blame Molly for something an adult does, in her view he was giving her a toy to play with. And if he is a big play toy with her then this is what happens.

Good luck! And lots of smooches to your babes.........

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

It's good to come to a place where people understand where I'm coming from. Hopefully they come around soon before I pull my hair out :P

Quote Originally Posted by abpingue
    You can't blame Molly for something an adult does, in her view he was giving her a toy to play with. And if he is a big play toy with her then this is what happens.
    Franny, that's exactly what I told him!! He however says that he shouldn't have to put things where Molly can't get them she should "know". He took the time to earn Abby's respect he just needs to do the same with Molly now.

She doesn't run around taking my things, because she can't get to them! (haha)
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Molly, meet Brigetta...fellow sunglass destroyer! Brigetta has destroyed at least 3 pairs of my sunglasses, including an expensive pair of Ralph Lauren glasses (a luxury I no longer indulge in since I now have two dogs to support ) It took 3 pairs for "not so bright" me to really grasp the fact that if I didn't leave them out, she wouldn't destroy them! ;D
    I agree with you, it's a huge challenge when everyone isn't on the same page. I go through this everytime I'm with my family. You obviously spend a lot of time with the girls training and exercising them, but sometimes (IMO) the only solution is to remove the temptation, therefor I have to say that neither you or Molly are to blame Good luck!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I am not sure how old Molly is. Sometimes they take a while to mature. I agree with Mugs Mum and Dad. Some dogs have active personalities.
    You can't be expected to have your eyes everywhere. It is always "your" fault if they are naughty. Bet they take the credit if she is good.

In my house rule is. If you leave something at Ernies level then don't expect to ever see it in its previous life, and don't blame me..lol.They have been warned.

I understand how frustrating it is. Ernie has a reputation with friends, family, the vets, neighbours, and tradesmen. I take him out once and people remeber him.

Kassa as well behaved, but she too could get into some terrible mischief. I think it is part of owning a wonderful and sometimes frustrating Labrador.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

patm is offline Senior Member

It's much harder to train PEOPLE than dogs! For heaven sakes - your Dad left the sunglasses on her FOODBIN and then got upset because she took them? Maybe someday the other adults in your family will finally realize that even though they think the dog shouldn't take anything, that she still is, so they need to put things up! Emilu was a great shoe destroyer - but it didn't take too many ruined shoes for US to realize that we needed to keep our shoes out of her reach for a while. My dogs really don't take anything that we leave laying around now (knock on wood) that isn't a dog toy. I don't know how they tell a stuffed dog toy from a stuffed snowman sitting around, but they can - well, actually Skippy never plays with toys or picks up anything so I guess that doesn't count. But Emilu LOVES toys and always has them strewn about the house. It sounds like you are doing a GREAT job with your dogs. Hopefully the people will come around :

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

When I read your post, the first thing that came to mind was the Serenity Prayer:
    God grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can;
    and wisdom to know the difference.

My guess is that you will never change your dad and bro's behavior and you can spend much effort and suffer much frustration trying. It will be a lot easier to try to keep everything out of M&A's reach regardless of who it belongs to. It will be nearly impossible to be 100% successful at this and there will be times when you are unjustly blamed for M&A. We all know you have done a wonderful job of training and caring for Molly and Abby and we know that labs often have no way of knowing what's off limits and it's not their fault, but your family may never appreciate this. So you will be blamed, but remember to come here to rant. We are behind you and we appreciate all that goes into training and caring for a lab.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Sorry, Dad - your fault. You should have known better, given the transgression atop the crate.

I suggest more training for Dad, not Molly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast