questions about female heat...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: questions about female heat...

phoebeann Guest

Defaultquestions about female heat...

my dog has not be spayed because of an innie vulva but i'm wondering if anyone did it without the diapers? i'm pretty sure she will destroy them. also if i get some how often do you change them and such? also was there a lot of blood or did she keep clean? i'm sorry but this is my first female dog. i know that it will last about 3 weeks and to supervise her while outside.

thanks for anyone who answers!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: questions about female heat...

You'll probably want to have at least 2 diapers (aka bitches britches) so she can wear one and you can wash the other if it gets dirty. You will use a women's maxi pad inside the britches and change the pad about twice per day depending on how heavy she is bleeding.

Since you only plan to let her have this one heat, you can also use a pair of boys underpants instead of buying the britches. Turn them upside down so her tail can fit thru the fly. Still use the maxi pad. Underwear will not fit as snuggly as the britches so keep an eye on her and adjust them as necessary.

They don't bleed a lot but it is a pretty constant drip. Some dogs are very clean (mine is) and will always be cleaning themselves but I still found drops of blood on the floor occasionally when she was moving around without protection (I have tile, not carpet so no big deal). Now I use the britches whenever she's free in the house. If the dog is crated, she won't need to wear the britches because she will clean herself. There may still be spots of blood on the bedding though so plan accordingly. Remember to take the britches off for the dog to potty. They get really confused if you don't.

I hope that helps.

We used boys undies...size large and they worked well. You only need them for the middle part when it's pretty heavy. I wouldnt suggest not using them for the first. Theyre not used to it and arent as vigilant about cleaning, as they do become later on. It will get on the floor, rugs, sofa, bedding, if you dont
    Emma is only having 1 heat so we didnt buy the britches, just used the underwear which worked fine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

phoebeann Guest

ok thanks for the tips!

georgie is offline Senior Member

Abby just went in to heat last Sat. & we were to have her spayed today. :
    We went to Petsmart & bought these panties & then we bought the doggie pads to put inside. Surprisingly she has left them on. I take them off when she is in her crate when we are at work but the rest of the time she has them on. She leaves them on all night. Thank goodness because she sleeps in our bed.
    I can't judge because we usually have our girls spayed before their first heat, but there is a fair amount of blood on the pads when I change them. I have not seen any leakage.
    She is not happy though wearing them.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Sammi didn't bleed much but defiantly needed a diaper. I thought for sure she would never go for it, but actually she did very well! A little embarrassed but left them alone. Also don't spend the money on puppie pad's, any inexpensive store brand pad will do! Good luck..

I am so glad you posted this. Sadie is 7 months and I am planning on getting her spayed as soon as our tax money comes in. I know the kind of luck we have though and she will probably go into heat right before :

patm is offline Senior Member

I've never tried the diapers thingys - don't know why because I follow Emilu around with a spray bottle to clean up the carpet after her! Duh! They tend to bleed more when they first get up from laying down. Just like a woman, it tends to kinda pool, and then come out when they stand up (sorry if TMI). Some bleed more than others - some can keep themselves pretty well cleaned up and others bleed more.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I agree with the cost. Those pads we bought at Persmart weren't cheap. I probably should have picked up a package at the grocery store...they are cheaper & seem they same. :

Mocha had one heat before I had her spayed. I didn't use any diapers I just cleaned the spots on the floor and tried to make sure to wipe her off with a paper towel occasionally to help her keep clean. She's not allowed on the furniture though so I didn't have to worry about that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast