Anyone have a lab who DOESNT like to eat?

Thread: Anyone have a lab who DOESNT like to eat?

DefaultAnyone have a lab who DOESNT like to eat?

I read over and over people with labs who eat so fast they want to know how to slow them down. I have that problem with Tundra too. We have managed that by adding a toy to his bowl to slow him down. Grace is the opposite. We can NOT get this girl to eat. I know shes a slow eater to begin with, she has been from day one. Now she might eat one meal a day, and then we have to sit right there and make sure SHE eats it, and not Tundra. We feed her Kirkland chicken and rice. They are 16 mo old and get 3.5 cups a day. The thing that really gets me is often times we will give her 5 minutes to eat, and if its not gone- back in the bag it go's. Then we let the dogs out, and then she eats poop! : Id say in a weeks time (14 feedings) she eats probably 7-9 times. We just went to the vets, and shes a healthy 64 lbs. (He actualy says she could stand to loose a couple). Does anyone else have this problem? She will eat treats, but not many a day. I realize she may not be a food motivated dog, but you would think she would eat her meals. Any suggestions? Also, another habit shes gotten into is getting a mouth full of food and then spitting it out onto the floor and picking at it. Might we try and feed her out of a different bowl? Right now they have the bowls where the food is stored under it and the bowls twist off.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

SandieF Guest

DefaultRe: Anyone have a lab who DOESNT like to eat?

Frodo is finicky. We put about a teaspoon of low fat, low sodium chicken broth in his food. He's been better since we started doing that.

bearsmom is offline Senior Member

With the pulling it out and spitting on the floor, both of my mom's dogs do it and have since I can remember... Even with different bowls..So I don't know what causes that, but it is a normal thing at my mom's and Bear has started to do that when he eats up there. Not much of a help am I? LOL
    Ash

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

One of my Labs can be picky. He leaves his kibble sometimes and somewhat regulates his intake. He never rejects raw or dog treats though...he also loves most human foods with the exception of some fruits and veggies.

Heids533, in your case, if she is not finishing her meals, cut back from 3.5 to 2-2.5 cups per day. You may find this reduced amount works much better for her.

Thanks for the replys.
    Trickster- I was going to do just what you said, cut back- but I was worried this might increse her appetite for poop ??? I will do that though.
    And Ash- im glad to hear my dog isn't the only pup who prefers to eat off the floor