Update on Lab found in Tx Marsh

Thread: Update on Lab found in Tx Marsh

DefaultUpdate on Lab found in Tx Marsh

It almost looks like this guy is trying to sign up to be the new poster child for Lab Rescue. He has so many things going on with him and yet he continues to be one of the sweetest we've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

1st - about his name. I was going to call him Drake or possibly Cole. A volunteer gave up her Saturday and she and her hubby drove out to Chambers County to pick him up. After she dropped him off at a kennel near my home she emailed me asking if she could call him Patrick. She said that he didn't look like a Drake to her. Well, I'm not sure that he didn't look like a Drake - but when you have volunteers willing to give up their Saturdays, drag hubby along and drive an hour outside of town for you to pick up a dog - you usually let them name the dog almost anything they want to - so Patrick it is.

Patrick (Pat) is the dog that was found wandering around a marsh and was taken to Chambers County Animal Control. The vet in Wallisville neutered and vaccinated him for us. He is heartworm positive, has hookworms, is very thin and has little to no muscle tone in his body, so he has had very little food and exercise in the weeks before he was found. He also has a skin irritation on his body and around his eyes that could be caused by allergies or wandering around in the salty marsh water for weeks. He was also covered in fleas. He is now wearing an Elizabethan collar because he was bothering his neuter incision and it started to gape slightly and drip small amounts of watery blood. He also has an older wound on his scrotum that needed to be looked at so we took him back to our vet yesterday. The old wound will need hydrotherapy once a day for the next 2 weeks. This basically consists of spraying water on the wound for 3 minutes to allow the water to debride the wound and gently take the top layer off causing some slight oozing or bleeding. This will help stimulate new and healthy tissue to grow in. Pat has very dirty ears – possibly ear mites and he's being treated for them. His ears are pretty sensitive right now and rather than hold him down to get in there and do a proper exam and culture - we'll treat them for the next week and give them a chance to fell better before we get in there and really bother the poor guy. He also has wounds on both ears that the vet believes were caused by fly bites. These small biting flies are very common in marshy areas and can be a real problem for dogs without shelter to protect them.

OK – so basically Pat is a mess and despite all of this he is a real sweet heart and a very calm dog. We picked an expensive one to try and help but he seems so very worth the time, money and effort. He has already costs us $385.58 and we're still facing heartworm treatment and possibly boarding expenses. He is currently a a kennel near my home where I can check on him daily and help with his daily hydrotherapy sessions. This is one of the few kennels where we know that he will rcv the best of care and rcv his meds as needed. He is currently in an indoor luxury suite right next to the kennel office (at no extra charge to us). He has a bed and TV and gets walked 3 times a day. He's going to be spoiled rotten by the time he's ready to move on.

I'll post photos later today.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Update on Lab found in Tx Marsh

Patrick is very special, indeed. Sounds like everyone is doing their best to help him and that makes me very happy!

I hope my donation was received and was/will be put toward his care. Don't hesitate to ask for more.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

thanks for the update. He sounds worth the effort. Again, thank you for taking a chance on this fellow.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the update. Get well soon Patrick

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Wishing you the best Patrick! And I hope when you are all healed you get all the love and attention you never got before!

sloigo is offline Senior Member

Hope everything works out for Patrick!
    Karen, Mom to the Lab Monkeys:
    Daisy DoBug YL 7 yr old
    Kiana YL 5/2006
    Piglet 4/2006 Lab @ Heart
    Liberty 7/2/2009
    **Bella Mia 5 yo (RIP~2/07)**
    *Molly Blu 2.5 yr old (RIP~7/06)*

LOLIN.ORG Saving one lab at a time.

MickeysMom is offline Senior Member

Forgive the ignorance, but how do we donate?
    WooT!<br /><br /><br />He made it too! <br />

Thanks for the update he sounds like he will make someone a wonderful companion when he's all healed up. Thanks for helping him.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Dina posted this address the other day for their rescue donations :

STLRR
    5535 Memorial Dr, Ste F Box#554
    Houston, Texas 77007

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"