How do you discourage mouthiness? (Especially around young children)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you discourage mouthiness? (Especially around young children)

DefaultHow do you discourage mouthiness? (Especially around young children)

Angus is 20 weeks old, and he's nowhere near as nippy as he was when we got him, but he's still mouthier than I'd like, especially with my 4 yr old. Not biting her, but he puts his mouth on her (and us) quite a bit, and sometimes it hurts. As an example, This morning, Angus was on his bed chewing a toy, & Anna came & sat beside him to pet him, Angus reaches out with his open mouth...not a snap, just gaping his mouth, trying to get her had, leg, whatever in his mouth. Then it escalated to him trying to get on top of her as if she were another puppy to play with. Of ourse, she is 4, she thinks it's great fun, until he gets too rough. I am trying so hard to impress on her not to get down on his level, as he sees it as "let's play" and doesn't recognize his strength. What do you suggest?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How do you discourage mouthiness? (Especially around young children)

Grab his snoot and look him dead in the eye: NO BITE!!

And then praise the good behavior: Good no bite!

Duke is the same way. He doesn't bite, just mouths. We have tried the hold snoot, no bite and actually still use it. But he still does it. I'm hoping he grows out of it. My girls get annoyed by it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks. We do the "no bite" too. I think my youngest daughter is partilly to blame, she eggs him on. My 7 yr old has the wisdom to just leave him when he gets mouthy.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Until NO BITE takes hold, have a long chat w/your 4 y.o.

Thunders Mom is offline Senior Member

Simba at 14 mos. is starting to do this. I have been doing snoot and no bite but she thinks it's a game. >

It's not the destination, it's the journey!

Quote Originally Posted by dweck
    Until NO BITE takes hold, have a long chat w/your 4 y.o.
    Daily. Believe me. plus constant supervision. The 7 yr old is a dream with Angus, she truly understands why she should and should not do certain things.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

We did exactly what your 7 year old does. Ignore.
    The "no bite" did not work for Zoe either.
    She eventually got it that mouthing, no matter how soft, would not be tolerated. She stopped at 5 months, so that would be 20 weeks.

Difficult to explain to a 4 yr old though. Good luck.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Quote Originally Posted by zoesmom
    We did exactly what your 7 year old does. Ignore.
    The "no bite" did not work for Zoe either.
    She eventually got it that mouthing, no matter how soft, would not be tolerated. She stopped at 5 months, so that would be 20 weeks.

Difficult to explain to a 4 yr old though. Good luck.
    Difficult to explain to a 4 y.o., yes, especially one going through a "stage" herself right now. (patience, must have patience)

momof3inbc Guest

Our trainer taught us a different command "out"!!! And saying out for any inappropriate behaviour from leaving an item on the ground during a walk...to not taking a treat until you are ready to give it to her...no paws on you...no jumping....etc...

We have had no problems with Maggie (we took her to training the first week home) - knocking on wood. We have 3 kids - 11, 7, and 5 (he is a small 5 yr old), a 6lb toy poodle, and a siamese cat. Maggie is now 49.5 lbs and everyone comments on how calm she is (its more behaviour than calm).

I would suggest Caesar's book as well... opened my eyes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast