Crates

Thread: Crates

DefaultCrates

How many of you have dogs that are crate trained but not crated anymore but you leave the crate up for them? Do they go lay in it by themselves?

Mocha was crate trained as a puppy and was crated during the day and at night until about 8 months then I started letting her out at night at about 9 months I started letting her out during the day. She did well for 6 months then had a relapse in judgement and chewed the carpet so I crated her for a few months again. She's been uncrated day and night for at least a year now and is 2 1/2 y.o. I leave her crate up in the living room that we don't use very much incase there is a repair man over or things like that and the door is always open. Latley she's been going in there to nap and even at night when she could come lay with us she goes into her crate. When I get ready for bed she used to always come up to our room for some lovin then lay on her pillow next to the bed to sleep.. The last few nights she come up for some lovin then goes down and lays in her crate ??? When I get up in the morning she is sleeping next to the bed though. I'm glad she feels safe in her crate and likes it but this confuses me? We have been remodeling our bathroom and making a lot of noise she doesn't like I wonder if it has something to do with that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Crates

We still have the crates,but rarely use them. My Girls are out all night and pretty much all day. They do nap in their crates from time to time,but not as often. If the dogs are being extra rowdy we might crate them when we leave. I hope to be crate free by the time they are 2 years old. We'll see how that goes. So far they are pretty good, a stray sock is occasionally chewed,and I did loose a boot liner a few weeks ago.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Duke goes into the crate during the day when we aren't home and stays out at night. He naps in it on his own and alot of mornings I can find him in it snoozing. Abby doesn't have a crate anymore.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

For the most part I use ex-pens rather than crates, although I do have two huge crates as end tables on either side of my couch. Hoss is the only one who goes into his ex-pen on his own accord, and that is when I am on the computer. (I think he feels insulted that I am paying attention to something other than him. As soon as I stand up from the computer, and move to the couch, he comes out to sit next to me on the couch).

I do put all dogs in their ex-pen or crates on occaision. Belle can not be trusted out of her crate for 30 seconds if I am out of the house.

I think she's a little upset because I haven't been spending as much time with her the last few weeks. I've been working on the bathroom as much as I can because it's my bathroom and I want it done...lol I try to give her extra lovin when I'm not in there.

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

Kody is still in his most days, but out at night. He will go in on his own a lot to nap, especially in warmer weather. I think he likes the cool plastic liner on warm days.

Beau was crate trained and he now is able to run free but he lays in his crate when he dosent feel good or something is wrong...

Essy is crated during the day when no one is home. She can't be trusted. Murray is not crated.