Riley's Limping Update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riley's Limping Update

DefaultRiley's Limping Update

Well, I was finally able to get him to the vet to check out his leg. Turns out he has a torn cruciate ligament in his knee. His surgery is scheduled for next Tuesday. Thankfully, my folks have been generous enough to loan me most of the cost of the surgery. I feel soooo bad that I couldn't get him to the vet sooner, but I did what I could in the meantime...limited his walks and cut out playing fetch until we got the leg checked. Poor boy. He will be in the hospital for 3 nights.
    Any words of wisdom from anyone whose furkids have endured the same injury/surgery?

Also, I am going to need another crate since Oreo has commandeered Riley's old one...anybody know of any good buys on crates these days?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Riley's Limping Update

Prayers for a speedy recovery for Riley. My friend's 9YO golden had it last year and is running around like a puppy now. It's important to keep any excess weight off of him.

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

I am sorry to hear about Riley. You will have to keep him quiet and occupied for a while so start stocking up on bones and PB for frozen kongs.
    Hope Riley heals quickly from his surgery.

Can you borrow a crate from a friend or ask around to coworkers? or post somewhere that you are in need of an inexpensive or free crate? I bet you could find one for free or on loaner.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Pam
    Pam is offline Senior Member

When Buddy injured his leg, he had a TTA rather than a TPLO. He came home the same night. Granted I was a wreck but in the end, it really was best that way. I slept on the floor with him for a few days. He did better if he felt my hand somewhere on him. He seemed to stress if I left his sight even to go to the bathroom so I know he would have been miserable if left at the vet's.
    He recovered well. It's been about 2 years or close to it now. He never limps or shows any discomfort from that leg, thanks be to God!!!!. I don't take him running anymore but he butt tucks about the house whenever he gets excited. I've also noticed that he stands on his hind legs sometimes to greet people he especially loves now. I don't know why since he never did it before.
    Good luck.

my last dog got TPLO...honestly, if all goes well, it is not nearly as bad as you will read on the internet. The first night home will be rough, but then it gets better...the incision area will get worse looking over the first 3-4 days and then it will get better very quickly. Make sure the dog gets a few pain patches - they help.

Try to eliminate stairs. I found what worked much better then a crate was sectioning off an area with blankets and dogs beds about 5 feet by 5 feet. Enough room for the dog to be confortable and me to get in their with him.

After a few days, I let him out of the area on a leash - but again just move around a little in the same room.

You will use something to assist the dog, like a towel to put under the abdomen to help him walk...you will get used to it quickly...you will use that for a couple of weeks.

Swimming is good if you live in an area you can do it and have access...BUT wait until you get clearence from the doctor....I would get a 45 foot line, this way when the dog comes ashore, you can prevent the dog from running on it....it must be swimming in a controlled environment....

Good luck and again, he'll be back to normal before you know it.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Poor Riley. Sending good thoughts for his surgery.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Don't worry - he'll be fine. My male tore both of his cruciate ligaments and had TPLO on both knees (about 6 months apart). That was 2 years ago and he's doing fine now - no limp, no pain, etc. If he's active, you're definitely going to need to crate him at least for a while. My male isn't so active so he was okay not being crated.

My ortho vet said that many dogs that tear one cruciate ligament put more weight on the other and end up tearing it to so I would watch out for that other side for any signs of limping. I would say to make sure that they send you home with pain meds and keep him doped up for the first few days. Also, it is very important to keep his weight off and not let him get heavy while he's recovering. You should talk to your vet about whether to cut food back during the recovery period. I can't tell whether you're getting the traditional surgery or the TPLO. I know with TPLO, he had to stay calm for a long time and then slowly build back up exercising. We cut his food back quite a bit during that recovery period.

I 2nd the weight issue - my swissy put on 20 pounds in just a few weeks.

SandieF Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gerst001
    I 2nd the weight issue - my swissy put on 20 pounds in just a few weeks.
    Frodo had his done 16 weeks ago today. He's just as good as he was before he tore it. The weight issue was a real concern for us too. You may be tempted to give him lots of treats while he's recovering but you really have to limit his intake of them, the very last thing you need him to do is gain weight.

Frodo was pretty drugged the first week home, and we took turns sleeping downstairs on the floor with him for the first 8 weeks. He had no upstairs access at all during that time. He went outside only to pee and do his other business for the first 4 weeks. After that he could have one 5 minute walk a day. He has worked himself up to two 20 minute walks a day now, and he even has some off leash time. Now that we have the all clear we can start gradually increasing his off leash time and walk time. In about 6 weeks he can even start back in daycare.

It's hard, it's upsetting to see your pet limited in his activities, the incision is disgusting, it was hubby's job to check it every day, I couldn't even look at it for the first week. Before you know it, your furkid will be back to normal. I can't believe it's been 4 months.

Most important....FOLLOW YOUR VETS ADVICE TO THE LETTER.....

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

My male had his two knees done, 2 months apart. It will be fine. I agree, no stairs, and we used a blocked area with towels and sheets on the ground instead of a crate too.

If your dog has never had any surgery before, he could be a big baby, Hudler was.

Also, check to see what meds the doctor is going to prescribe for you when the dog is home....many times you can get the meds cheaper yourself. Like for us, for the 1st knee, I didn't know better, and bought a $70 bottle of Metacam for $150 through the vet. The next knee, they gave me a prescription and I bought it on line for $70.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast