Tonight I loved up to a Maltese

Thread: Tonight I loved up to a Maltese

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultTonight I loved up to a Maltese

One of these Maltese:

http://www.malteseonly.com/slashdot/news.php?id=4

This was one of the worst animal cruelty/puppy mill cases I've ever heard of. More than 200 dogs were confiscated from this woman's home two years ago. I believe they were all Maltese. The animal shelter in one of our neighboring counties was overwhelmed with 200+ dogs, as you can imagine. It was all over the news here when it happened.

Tonight in Rally class I met one of those dogs.

Her name is Piccolo, and she is four pounds of "please love me." Bless her tiny heart. Her owners are bringing her through Rally class, I don't believe necessarily to show her, but just to socialize her.

She told me the story of how they came to find each other. She happened to be at animal control the day the dogs were brought in. There was one tiny girl who was shaking so badly the groomer was afraid to clip her for fear she was going to have a heart attack. They had never been out of cages, and were literally covered in feces. The place was crawling with dogs, way more than the staff could handle. The groomer, in desperation, asked if someone could please help by holding this one little girl who was so afraid.

The lady took her and hugged her to her chest until she calmed. Her coat was so badly matted and covered in waste, and she smelled to high heaven. But she didn't care, of course. She just tried to comfort her as best she could.

She remembered she had some cuticle scissors in her purse, so she began to slowly, carefully, meticulously clip away the matted coat. It took over an hour.

They agreed to foster her, but had to sign an agreement stating that, if the "breeder" won the court case, they would give her back. Thank GOODNESS, she didn't, and Piccolo is still with them today.

Anyway, you know me and little dogs. But gosh, with all this little girl has been through, I was just all over Pic tonight. She is my class pet. And what a sweet little thing she is. She is actually smaller than Angus was when we brought him home, and I thought that was tiny. But she looks right up into your face, and puts her paws up on your knee, and I swear to me she seems to be saying, "Thank you."

I believe they found homes for all of the dogs that were confiscated. I was happy to have met one and gotten to see the happy ending.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Tonight I loved up to a Maltese

I can't believe that the puppy mill breeder has a chance to get them back. So sad.

Mel
    Mel is offline Senior Member

What a horror story for those poor dogs! Nice that you were able to meet up with one that had a happy ending.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

emccase is offline Senior Member

Oh those poor dogs. Talk about being at the right place at the right time, sounds like it worked out wonderfully for Piccolo and her parents. So glad these dogs found good homes and have had a happy ending. It does feel like a dog that has been rescued is constantly trying to thank you and they really know that you saved their life. McKenzie came from a breeder and I love her endlessly, she's such a good girl. But I had adopted a dog from the shelter years ago and it was a totally differant feeling from him just felt like constant gratitude. Sadly we lost him three years ago :'( and miss him so much. They are indeed the loves of our life.

Mckenzie the lab and Maddie the Mastiff wanna be.

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

I just read the article. I am sick. I just don't get why people are so sick and horrible and cruel.

Another great story, Connie. I never tire of them.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I was on a Maltese list at the time this all happened. It was horrible! Maltese breeders tend to be very "not my problem" in attitude but I can tell you they rallied together and really put up funds and resources to help these dogs.
    There were not only Maltese but I think Westies? and Rag Doll cats.
    http://hollybellemaltese.com/index2.html
    I would NOT be surprised if this lady is breeding again under an assumed name.
    Kim

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

I'm still trying to get my mind around the concept of a 4 lb dog!! I think Wesley's bone in my sig pic weighed more than 4 lbs.

Nice of you to generously give the lovins, Connie. Pic certainly deserved them. I'd love to cover that breeder in feces!

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

I know this story. One of the dogs in HB's summer school was from this rescue. She was adorable. Really starting to come out of her shell, working hard on her CGC and visiting some of the nursing homes with her person.

Maltese are such warriers! There was an adorable little girl at the dog show last year, ran away with the show, got best of anything she was entered in. Posed like a prom queen every time a camera was pointed at her. I saw her at the end of the show with all her bos and ribbons off, rolling in the saw dust playing bitey face with her brother.

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

That's a heartbreaking story. I never cease to be amazed at how resilient dogs are. I'm so glad Piccolo has what appears to be a great mom!