trouble with "off"

Thread: trouble with "off"

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

Defaulttrouble with "off"

I'm having a little trouble getting Sally to recognize "off" when I'm sitting down.

I'm definitely rewarding her for "off." A lot of the time, it only takes a slight nudge to get her "off" and she'll sit so nicely. I immediately reward her. Even if she does it again and again, as long as she nicely does "off," I'll reward her. Then I'll get up and walk away and she'll forget that she wanted up in my lap. That is working very nicely.

But still sometimes, she is so stubborn about it....crazy like. She just will NOT stay off. She continues no matter what to try and jump up on us. She'll bark and nip at us.

Now this is only when we are sitting. She's not anywhere this bad when we are standing up or even when we come in the door. That's fine. It's when we are sitting in a chair on or the couch that she thinks she HAS to be up on or in our laps.

When she get into these crazy fits where she is not listening to anything we say about "off" what is the best course of action then? ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

DefaultRe: trouble with "off"

The only way I could teach Dakota "OFF" while I was sitting is to have her leashed and give her a little leash but not enough to jump up on to my lap just enough so that she could get her feet up. as soon as I saw her going to get up I told her "OFF" and the leash made it so she couldnt get up into me. The rest of my family used a spray bottle : .

I'm forgetting how old she is. She may just still be in that puppy stage of excitement, with the barking and nipping. It sounds like you're doing the right thing....it'll just take some time, doing it consistently, 'til she 'gets' it.

Maybe have her sit/stay or down/stay when she's coming to sit by you? Sorry I'm not much help; I hope others more experienced will reply.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

crate her when she's getting silly and just not listening.

Using the crate as a time out has got me through two tough puppyhoods.. just make sure you're neutral about it, simply leading the pup to her kennel and putting her in. Wait till she's quiet in the crate, a few minutes, then ask her to sit before you release her.

Quote Originally Posted by Djc1249
    I'm forgetting how old she is. She may just still be in that puppy stage of excitement, with the barking and nipping. It sounds like you're doing the right thing....it'll just take some time, doing it consistently, 'til she 'gets' it.
    I'm sorry. I forgot to say she's 3 months old. I feel like I'm being very consistent. We didn't have this problem with Annie because (although we didn't know it at the time), she had such severe HD that she couldn't possibly jump up on us or our laps or anything else. We just thought we had an easily trained lab!

We were all ready for the housebreaking, crate training, biting, hyperness, chewing, etc. But this jumping up on us while we sit down is completely new.

Quote Originally Posted by LabMommyKathryn
    The only way I could teach Dakota "OFF" while I was sitting is to have her leashed and give her a little leash but not enough to jump up on to my lap just enough so that she could get her feet up. as soon as I saw her going to get up I told her "OFF" and the leash made it so she couldnt get up into me. The rest of my family used a spray bottle : .
    I don't know about the spray bottle, although I've seen people use that effectively. The leash thing makes sense. That might be my next option.

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    crate her when she's getting silly and just not listening.

Using the crate as a time out has got me through two tough puppyhoods.. just make sure you're neutral about it, simply leading the pup to her kennel and putting her in. Wait till she's quiet in the crate, a few minutes, then ask her to sit before you release her.
    You know, today we had company over for lunch. She went absolutely NUTS! And one of our guests was getting more than annoyed. I put her in her crate. It worked very well! After lunch, I let her out, she was a little hyper, but calmed down very quickly. I will use that more often when she gets into that little "mood" of hers.

kaytris, I've noticed you posting a lot about how to train labs. You seem very serious about this. Are you a trainer?

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I worked as an assistant trainer at a family dog obedience school for 8 years... now I do private lessons and am working on getting my own group classes up and running. ;D (Plus I petsit/dogwalk, take care of my three dogs and train baby Sophie in agility)