Anyone hear of this breeder?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone hear of this breeder?

DefaultAnyone hear of this breeder?

I want to know if anyone knows of this breeder, he breeders field/hunt dogs. But, I don't know if he has a mix of show/field in his dogs. It looks like it but I could be wrong. The name is Old Salem Kennels. Let me know what you think please.

Would these dogs do good in the conformation ring (had to edit to throw that in and ask)?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Anyone hear of this breeder?

sorry bumping this up.

They're field bred labs...looks like they do all of the appropriate clearances... I dont know anything other than what I saw on the website.
    They dont post a lot and prefer for people to contact them on the phone.

They do a lot of gun dog training so maybe the hunters in the group will know.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I've never heard of them but their dogs have both field and conformation lines in their pedigrees. What are you looking for in a puppy? Their puppies will probably be great obedience, agility, hunt test competitors. They probably will not be competitive in the show ring or field trials. If you want a show dog, you need to go with just the show pedigree; if you want a field trial dog, you need to go with field pedigree. You might be able to do derby with their pups, but I don't think you'll get a FC or AFC on a show/field cross.

Call them and talk to them. What do they do with their dogs? Why are they crossing field and show lines? Ask them if they compete in field trials and how successful they are. Ask the same about the conformation ring.

I have heard that some people think that by crossing a show type dog with a field type dog they will get the next dual champion. These people don't seem to be clueless and arrogant that way, so I'm sure they have their reasons. The show dogs that they've used in their breeding program are good: Beechcroft and Willcare lines (my dog has both ).

kaytris is offline Senior Member

If you are looking for a show-prospect puppy, go to a breeder that has put conformation titles on their dog/s.

Be prepared to accept a puppy on co-ownership.

Why a co-ownership?

I've been trying to find someone that bred both field and show dogs in their lines and finally have. I don't really like the heavier build of the show labs, I'm more towards the field lab because of the taller look and longer legs. I've been thinking lately about whether any RB's whether field/hunt or show/bench breeders, had both in their lines. So took a look.

If the pup meets all of the breed standard requirements, would it be okay to show the pup? That is what I worry about.

(I'm planning this carefully, I have plans on having my own place this year at least)

I really don't know exactly what I'm looking for when it comes to picking a pup (personality wise), because I know that the pup's overall personality could change when the pup is older. Those who bought pups for field work, and the pup ended up not being the right one, etc.

I want to also do Obedience and Therapy.

I want to be able to pick the pup up myself. So I can see what pup (out of the one's that the breeder chooses from) are the more 'into me', and wants to be with me more than playing with their siblings. Its hard to explain I guess.

It's just that most breeders will not give you full registration. Most breeders are very selective about which homes their full regs go to and won't allow just anyone to take them. They dont want inappropriate, indiscriminate breedings so theyre very cautious but call these people and talk to them. They do have nice pedigrees and do the proper clearances. But I don't believe they show in conformation.
    So, if that is what you want, stick to a show breeder, get to know some, join a club in your area, and start asking around.
    Again, the Woodhaven site is a great site and also the breeders of our 18 week ld pup, Aidan.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

My .02 worth -- you might want to re-think picking your own puppy. A good breeder will have spent 8 weeks with them and will know each personality by heart. You might have an hour.

Just be prepared to tell the breeder what you are looking for in a dog (i.e., that you'd like to do obedience or therapy work) and what your lifestyle is like (active, semi-active, couch bum ;D), if you have children and their ages and activity level. The more information your breeder has, the better "fit" you'll get.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Anyone can enter any registered labrador in a dog show. Will a field bred labrador place and earn a championship, though - that's another issue entirely. If you want a dog that can finish, you'll need to go to a show breeder.

There are a number of breeders around of more 'moderate' labradors that have conformation titles and working certificates (JH, SH, etc) - so there ARE show dogs that hunt.

What I had mentioned when picking my own was this...sometimes breeders may have two or three pups that may 'fit' but in the end I think out of those two or three that the buyer should be able to choose out of those two or three. I hope that cleared that up. If that is the case, I want to choose the pup that is much calmer out of the chosen siblings.

I'm looking for a yellow or black pup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast