How I stop my one dog from biting the neck of the other?

Thread: How I stop my one dog from biting the neck of the other?

browneyedgirl is offline Member

DefaultHow I stop my one dog from biting the neck of the other?

Lucky, our black lab, loves to retrieve...but when she is on her way back w/her tennis ball, our other dog (lab mix), grabs her at the neck and tries to drag her or pull on her skin...

It wouldn't have been such a big deal until I was massaging Lucky's neck the other day, and noticed cuts/scabs which are probably from our other dog...

any ideas on how to stop this behavior?

TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: How I stop my one dog from biting the neck of the other?

No idea, but hope the other can help you on it.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Obedience training. Have the lab mix on a sit or down stay while Lucky fetches, then the mix can take a turn. If she can't hold a stay, leash her.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

We have the same problem here. Angus always beats Simon to the bumper, then Simon tries to take it away the rest of the way back. : We are going to have to work with them as kaytris describes above. Our solution has been to play fetch with them separately whenever possible. :-\

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

when taylor first joined the family, she used to be the obnoxious one during retrieves. what works for us is to add a 2nd ball, so that taylor had her own to fetch, and since she is the ball crazed dog, the first ball thrown is always hers, and as soon as she takes off, i show luke his ball and throw it for him to fetch, and the entire retrieve session goes smoothly where both dogs chase after their designated balls. taylor has her ball to fetch, and luke has his to fetch. after a few first sessions of retrieving this way, taylor completely stopped trying to mess with luke or take luke's ball. her focus totally redirected off of luke and towards her own ball, and she started waiting for her turn and run after only her ball.

we use the same balls for each dog, meaning it's the same size, color, etc. there is no way we can tell which ball "belongs" to which dog, and we don't try to keep track either. during retrieves, whichever ball is thrown first is always taylor's ball for that session, even if that same ball had been luke's ball in a prior retrieve session.

back then, we started training taylor to wait her turn and throw the first ball of the session for luke, but during this training time, we quickly realized that throwing the first ball for taylor was so much easier and just as effective and made no difference in how either dog retrieved or in the fun they had during the session. now that taylor understands taking turns, and that she WILL get her turn at the ball, especially when she displays self control and patience, she will wait if she is prompted to wait.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Dani is offline Senior Member

Either train one at a time or be okay with it...the boys around her always are yanking on each other's necks...I don't mind, and they dont seem to mind either.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003