Three Legged Dogs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three Legged Dogs

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultThree Legged Dogs

Just curious for any of you who know or have a three legged dog. I know that once they regain their balance most are good as new. But I'm curious - are they still good for longs walks and playing fetch? Or are they into more moderate exercise?

Or does it really depend on the dog and the injury?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

As a child our family dog Casey got hit by a car and had to have his front leg amputated he managed just fine and lived to be 13 years old.

Liz Halle and Maverick

brody is offline Senior Member

the only three legged dog I knew for years and years was as active as ever - he had been hit by a train
    a brittany spaniel and boy could he run and swim and carry on ...
    Rodger Dodger - just smiling thinking of him
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

so you do all the same things with the tripod? Same amount of walking and running around as with a four legged dog? Do you monitor more?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

brody is offline Senior Member

my aunt and uncle certainly did everything they did with RD when he had four legs
    hiking canoeing etc
    personally I'd keep an eye on soundness but I do anyhow
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

justine is offline Senior Member

Yep, 3-legged dogs act pretty much normal, at least the ones that I know.. they play and run and everything with the other dogs

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I have first hand knowledge of two pups one lost his early in her life after being hit by a car, she lived to be 16. The other we don't know the history, she is a friends rescue pup. They both did/do run with the big dogs and have no idea that anything is or was wrong with them! It always amazed me to watch them run and play- jump into vehicles etc.. sometimes you would cringe thinking they were going to fall but it happened no more often then with the other pooches!

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

I do recall seeing two different tripods compete at a top dog event. One was in Novice and the other one was in I think Open. I was amazed at the time by how well they both pulled off their obedience runs. I thought it was cool to see them doing AKC obedience. Top Dog is a team obedience event that uses AKC rules, and you usually have the top dogs in the area competing in it..

Kelly and Amber
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

Kopitar is offline Junior Member

When I was a child at my grandmothers home in Oregon there was a Tripod golden retriever that would run up and down hills and fields and keep up with his boxer companion just fine. It didn't slow him down one bit.

joflake is offline Senior Member

My sister has a pit she rescued and he has three legs, was hit by a car. He runs and plays and goes up and down the stairs just like their other dog. But.....he is 6 now and he is slowing down a lot. She told me the other day that he will play a bit and then have to go rest, his good leg is starting to go out on him. Pits have that huge chest and all their weight is at the front. So it's becoming a strain on his one good leg. She's starting to limit his exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast