Tick Question:

Thread: Tick Question:

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

DefaultTick Question:

This is kinda bothering me....so, we use frontline on both our kids. I have found a couple of ticks on Brooklyn - it is so easy with her light hair. But after searching Remy I never seem to find one. I have, however, found a dead flat tick outside of his crate. Frontline does work people!

But here's my question. As owner of a part lab - part Hoover - Remy investigates and puts anything he finds on the floor in his mouth. What if he eats a tick? Plus, both are grazers...what if they ingest a tick while eating the grass? Could they get lyme that way or is it only injected into the blood stream?

Quietly freaking out.....
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

I don't really know for sure, but I wouldn't think that eating a tick would be any worse than getting bitten by a tick. I use Frontline Plus on my dogs (we live in a very tick infested area) and they still get bit quite a bit, and then there are a fair amount that appear to fall off, dead or weakened. Skippy gets them more than Emilu. WE get them - dozens of bites so far this year. I think that after a while you can't stay in a heightened fear of Lyme - I just am aware that if one of us gets sick, then suggest a test for Lyme. And for some strange reason, the dogs DO have a fascination with eating the ticks. If you pick one off of them, they want to see it and then try to eat it.

Hunter is offline Senior Member

A tick will not be able to survive if eaten. The acids and other bacteria in the stomach would quickly kill the tick

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Okay ... I saw the name of this thread and thought it said "Trick Question" then I read the OP and wondered what the trick was.

[/blonde moment]
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Good points. I take Tal and Barney out alot and there's ticks around here too. I check them before getting in the car, and have found one on my leg and one in my hair. I found one on Barney's nose the other day before we came home, and the tick was no longer with us. I just take precautions, and try not to worry about it too much.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I tell you I hear this more and more with frontline. From what I was told last year is that frontline loses its effectiveness in about 3 weeks and if your dogs are outside in the sun the sunlight is doing something to the ingredients in it that lesses its strength. This came from a vet from a memo they received from frontline.
    Kim