Bitey Face vs. Neck Chewing at Topeka's weekly LabFest

Thread: Bitey Face vs. Neck Chewing at Topeka's weekly LabFest

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultBitey Face vs. Neck Chewing at Topeka's weekly LabFest

Only 3 of us showed up today, 2 Yellow Labs (Puff & Chase) & 1 Golden (Dolly, 45 lbs.). I think that it was 17°F (8°C), spitting snow and freezing mist, and a north wind about 10+ mph might have reduced attendance. That and that the KU-Iowa State game on TV started at 1 PM and our group is scheduled 2-3 PM. A KU student in Lawrence called me to say she wouldn't bring her Yellow, Joey, because the drive (30 miles) was too treacherous (legit -- she's not that interested in basketball). Oh, and the day before, Trixie's driver, Judy, did call to say watching the game was her higher priority.

Dolly and Puff (and their chauffers) were there at the beginning and played "Bitey Face" with each other. Dolly is somewhat dominant, inclined to hump other dogs, while Puff is more of a wuss and goes along with what other dogs want to play.

After a bit, Chase's chauffer brought him. He's a staff architect at KU and it was hard for him to leave watching the game. Chase and Puff play together most often and usually, whenever we get to our LabFest location first, Puff will keep looking expectantly in the direction Chase would come from as if that might hasten his coming.

Chase, like most of our Labs, loves to chew on Puff's neck and he is obsessed with it. Puff hasn't ever "yiped" which I think she's do if she was getting hurt. From time to time she jumps half way up in my lap and I protect her from other Labs chewing on her -- but she usually stays there no more than 5-10 seconds and then she seeks again whichever dog she was playing with. We've even seen Chase drag Puff across the ground by her neck, a Lab variation on the cartoon of the cave man dragging a woman.

Dolly was fixated on playing Bitey Face with either Chase or Puff -- preferrably Puff but she often had to settle for Chase. Chase was fixated on neck biting/slobbering on Puff.

I find it fascinating that while so many Lab people describe their Labs playing "Bitey Face", most of ours are into "Bitey Neck". But Dolly's clear preference was for BF.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bitey Face vs. Neck Chewing at Topeka's weekly LabFest

Yes, that's true, we actually have much more Bitey Neck going on here than Bitey Face. Hence the collar ban. :

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Tucker and his golden friend Sadie have a combo of favorite play areas....bitey face, 'course, and one of Tucker's favorite areas is biting Sadie's neck; one of Sadie's favorites is biting his leg ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

While lab sitting last week for my friend, I noticed about an equal amount of both bitey face and neck biting. It's amazing how much time they can spend doing that, too!

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Brigetta loves both bitey face and bitey neck. I do notice that when she is initiating play or when other dogs initiate it with her, more often than not it begins with bitey neck.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

georgie is offline Senior Member

My girls do alot of both, that is why they never wear their collars unless we are leaving our house.