Happy Gotcha Day Jake!!! (lots of pics)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy Gotcha Day Jake!!! (lots of pics)

DefaultHappy Gotcha Day Jake!!! (lots of pics)

Today is Jake's gotcha day...he has been with me for a year now! I can't believe it has already been a year. He has come so far in the time that he has been with me. I adopted him from a shelter up where I am at school, where he was for the 2nd time as an owner surrender. I know nothing of his first home, but know that he was abused and neglected in at least his 2nd home. The reason giving for them returning him to the shelter blows my mind. They insisted on keeping him as a strictly outside dog. He is a huge people dog and always wants to be with a person. He kept climbing/breaking/digging/etc. out of the fence that they kept him in and wouldn't run off, but simply ran up to the house wanting inside. They decided this just was not an option to give him some time every once and a while (even time with them outside, not in the house) and took him back to the shelter that they had gotten him from. He was about to be put to sleep when I luckily came across his petfinder listing late on the night of the 12th. When I saw that he would be put to sleep, I skipped class on Friday morning and went to get him as soon as they opened. He looked so very sad in there, but as soon as he saw me everything changed. His eyes lit up, he seemed to smile, his tail started going a mile a minute...I just knew he was meant to come home with me. I grew up with 2 black labs when I was younger and in December of my senior year of high school, my parents finally broke down and got Grace for me. We have a Yorkie who grew up with our old black labs who were no longer with us, but I just missed my labs...I couldn't go much longer without one. It was always hard to leave Grace at home while I was at school, but her life would be so very different if she ever came up there with me that I knew it would not be fair to her to bring her with me. At the beginning of my senior year (I am a 5th year senior now), I started to look on petfinder and rescues in the area for a pup to adopt. I knew that I wanted to adopt and save one...I would save every homeless dog in the world if I could. I had slowed down on the looking for a bit when I got busy with school stuff (changed back to my original major). I had just started looking again when I saw Jake's listing that night. I truly feel that it was meant to be. He has been such an angel since he's been with me. He had to learn everything that most dogs his age know. For example, he had no idea what a toy was...no clue what he was supposed to do with a toy or a tennis ball. He had no idea what treats were. He also had obviously never been swimming before as he was very very cautious and unsure with our pool and the ocean the first several times we came home. Grace was a wonderful big sister and helped him learn all of these things. He also learned to sit, shake, and lay down, of course.

Ok I am getting VERY long winded here...I think I've about covered it though. Since I'm new here, I thought I'd share his story since no one would know. Here are some pictures of his past year with me...

In the pound...

On the way home...

His first night home, showing his foot...he had licked it out of boredom. It was not open at all when I got him...he had stopped once he got to the pound. It was scarred very badly though and we didn't think any of the hair would ever grow back. Much to our surprise, it has grown back very well.

Skinny boy...

His ear, which they assume he probably got caught on the fence in one of his escape attempts...it is healed like this. That was not open either when I got him.

One of his first few days home...it didn't take him long to make himself comfortable.

Probably his first bed ever, which I made for him.

With his new buddy Larry (he should look familiar around here lol) who got rescued right around the same time

Trying to learn from Grace how to play

My study helper

Now just a few recent ones: (you can see in these how well his foot healed)

Alright, I think that's more than enough. Sorry for the overload, but I thought it was a good opportunity to fill you all in on Jake's story. Hope you enjoyed! Happy Gotcha Day baby boy!!!!!!!! ;D

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Happy Gotcha Day Jake!!! (lots of pics)

OHHH Jake! You look SOOOOO happy my dear boy!!!!!!
    Happy Gotcha Day!
    Hey Mom, you did a great job! Kudos to you!!! You're Jake's angel!
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

That is a wonderful story. You can really see the difference a lot of love makes. I'm so glad you found him and that he found you.

Happy Gotcha Day. ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

HAPPY GOTCHA DAY JAKE!!!
    What a wonderful rescue story. Thank you for sharing it. Jake looks like such a sweet boy!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Thank you so much. All I can say is I did my best to turn things around for him. I just wanted to make a difference in his life and give him the life he deserved all along. He has brought just as much to my life as I have to his. Grace deserves just as much credit as I do for accepting his wild butt (he still has quite a puppy streak at times) and helping him learn to play and swim and all those other things dogs should enjoy.

Mybabymambo Guest

They truly look happy !

pj

awwwwwwwwww, happy gotcha day jake!
    what a wonderful story and love all of the pictures. you are both so lucky to have found each other! he's a beautiful happy boy!

Mel
    Mel is offline Senior Member

You are sooooo loved, Jake! I'm so happy that your Mom found you.

budbud is offline Senior Member

Happy Gotch Day Jake!! what a wonderful story and happy ending for you and Jake

Happy Gotcha Day Jake!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast