Exercise in REALLY cold weather

Thread: Exercise in REALLY cold weather

DefaultExercise in REALLY cold weather

I just took Stoops out for a play session - it was a balmy 2 degrees F.

We weren't out long, 15 minutes or so, and he mostly played fetch on a snow packed street with about 1 inch of new snow over the ice. The yard is is mess, it's snowed everything Thursday and Friday for 4 weeks and the snow is still about a foot deep with a crusty top, very hard to run and play in :P.

What I'm wondering is how long can he go out at a time when it's below 10 F? I worry about his ears and paws, but he wants to go out. He has cabin fever just like the rest of us!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Exercise in REALLY cold weather

I never romped in the snow with Paddy for more than 30 minutes at a time. I guess if you see them begin to do funny things with their feet, like picking them up as if they don't want to touch the snow, it's time to go inside. Maybe past time.

Seamus and Flynn

Trickster is offline Senior Member

When they are outdoors on their own (for example, to go potty) I would just let them out and then straight back in again. If you are out there with them and they are active (lots of movement to keep warm) they can quite easily handle those temperatures. Keep an eye on his paws -- you can even buy special booties or gels you rub on if you are worried about the ice.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the advice & suggestions!

Now if I just come up with some ways to make this more bearable for all the 2-leggers in the, self included. We have never seen snow on the ground this long (lived in N Idaho for 8 years, CO for almost 10), it's very depressing.

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

I think I live in the same area you do. I'm denver metro and we've had snow every thurs-fri for the last month too. At the hottest part of the day I had all of mine out for a leashed walk about 20 min. Tomorrow the labs and i are going to try for about 30 min at the dog park (Cherry Creek Reservoir). Twinkle at 10 lbs and 14 yrs can't come

Aaah, someone who can relate! I know lots of folks up North wouldn't think anything of this weather, but I miss our Colorado sunshine and 40 F days!

We're planning a short trip to the park down the street tomorrow. I wish it were warm enough to go on a snow shoe jaunt, he loves getting to bound through the snow off leash in the undeveloped area beyond our neighborhood.

But, at least we have power. Lots of people east of here are dealing with the cold with no heat, yikes!