Yikes! Suddenly swollen eye!

Thread: Yikes! Suddenly swollen eye!

DefaultYikes! Suddenly swollen eye!

An hour ago she was fine, sleeping in my lap. Then I looked down and her left eye was swollen where I'm sure she was normal even 20 minutes earlier. She was in my lap and I know I would have noticed. Also 2 smaller bumps on her nose and near her mouth. I'm thinking must be allergic hives? I gave her 2 benadryl (25mgx2=50mg) right away which was almost 30 minutes ago. So far, no worse and no trouble breathing or anything like that. But definitely itchy faced.
    - Anything else I should do for her tonight?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hark67 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Yikes! Suddenly swollen eye!

Awww. Poor baby girl. Glad you have some Benadryl on board. I'd just keep a close eye on her for now and repeat the Benadryl in another 4-6 hours. If she has trouble breathing then ER of course.

Huckle got bit by something one night but I didn't realize it. When I woke up in the morning his entire head was swollen up like a shar pei and his eyes were just little slits. Even as swollen as he was he wanted to eat his breakfast. Boy was he mad when I loaded him up into the car and raced him to the vet! They gave him some steroid injections/pills for the swelling.

Missing you, my friend.
    Huckle 1/9/1992 - 4/25/2006

Yeah... I'm up late just kinda keeping an eye on her. Want to make sure it's not getting worse, then we're probably heading to the vet first thing in the AM. Weird thing is we dont know what caused it.

DH is blaming himself - thinks maybe he had traces of pepperocini juice on his hand from dinner and rubbed her and she's reacting to that? I'm wondering if it was her doggy toothpaste (we hadn't brushed in a while, but the same tube she's had before)... Or maybe she picked up a chip of peppermint candy? Sigh... she licks everything.

She looks pathetic but seemed consoled when I gave her peanut butter (with benadryl hidden in it) and now sleeping peacefully - does benadryl knock dogs out like it does people?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Yes, Benadryl makes them vewwwy sweeepy.

Sounds like you did the right thing. I had to grin at you and SU trying to retrace your steps and figure out what it was. But it is doubtful she would have reacted to any of those things. It sounds like she was bitten by something. Reactions of that type are usually either bug-related or medicine. Angus reacted just like what you are describing to a sulfa drug, so those are out for him now.

How is she this morning? Has the swelling gone down?

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

labby is offline Senior Member

Be careful with this. If its not better by morning, a trip to the vet should be scheduled.

My Libby had this and ended up damaging the tear ducts of her eyes. Permanently.

Laura

georgie is offline Senior Member

I hope her eye improves quickly. Please let us know what the vet says.

Sigh... so at 3AM I woke up to the sound of her scratching and unhappy :'( At that point both eyes were swollen and there were hives on both sides of her muzzle. So I gave her another 50mg benadryl, put her back to bed, and set my alarm so we could go see the vet first thing. When we woke up again about 7am, she was a little better than at bedtime.

Went to see our vet (TG for Saturday morning walk-in!) She looked Violet over and also says she was most likely bitten by a bug or spider even though we dont see a site. Vet said we did the right thing, but actually had me give MORE benadryl - she said give 100mg this morning then 50mg TID for the rest of the weekend. We talked about a steroid shot, but since she's starting to improve we opted out of it. She's not doing anything other than sleep but at least she'd not uncomfortable, and the swelling is still improving.

A couple of things we've learned from this episode
    1) Per our vet, you can give up to 2mg benadryl per pound doggy weight (That's 5 pills for our 63# BABY) in an acute reaction, but regular dose is about 1mg/pound.
    2) Violet swallows pills really well if you put them in a small dollop of peanut butter
    3) It's really scary when your innocent pup is sick...THANK YOU ALL FOR THE MORAL SUPPORT! I'll update as she (hopefully) continues to get back to normal.

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

Glad she is feeling a bit better now Every incident is a learning experience when you have a dog.

Won't someone please feed me!

Owww. I hope her eye gets better fast. Poor girl.