I need help on best pet insurance, and Lord knows, YOU are experts...

Thread: I need help on best pet insurance, and Lord knows, YOU are experts...

DefaultI need help on best pet insurance, and Lord knows, YOU are experts...

Any info on who offers the best for BEAR

And still hasn't slowed down...I heard at 3 ..maybe...

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: I need help on best pet insurance, and Lord knows, YOU are experts...

Am looking forward to replies since we have thought of purchasing insurance for our two. Love the pictures with this post!

DefaultRe: I need help on best pet insurance, and Lord knows, YOU are experts...

Don't know anything about pet insurance, but love the pics!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I don't have pet insurance. We "vet" at Kansas State's CVM Teaching Hospital and their charges are quite reasonable.

Health insurance for pets and for humans are quite different. For humans, they're part of a remuneration package to the employee along with wages, various leaves, and other benefits.

For pets, benefits for those conditions assessed as pre-existing by the insurance company will be denied. Pet insurance companies usually contract with certain vets to charge the insurance company less in return for the greater flow of clients. That usually means the owner is restricted to seeing only certain vets. (And those vets know very well they make less on each visit by those clients.)

Also, pet insurance companies are corporations existing to generate profits. They have shareholders to satisfy, upper echelon execs to pay, office space to pay for, clerical help, systems to evaluate which claims to pay or not pay, etc. They go out of business if they do not generate profits. Profits = $um total of all premiums minus vet costs, minus company salaries, minus office expenses, minus shareholder payouts, minus taxes, etc.

If you have reason to believe your pet will have greater than average vet expenses and you do think the claims canNOT be denied and you don't mind being restricted to certain vets then pet health insurance may be financially worthwhile for you. Certainly there are some members of the JL clan who are very satisfied with it. But if your pet is healthier and needs less vet care than average, it almost always will be far more expensive as well as restricting.

As an alternative, many JL members find that putting aside, say $50-75 every month until their reserve fund builds up to, say $3-5k and drawing on that for any vetmed expenses is cheaper and more flexible over the long run.

Consumer Reports magazine had a fairly lengthy review article a few years ago on vets, pet health care, and pet health insurance. You might look it up in your public library. You can look in the CR year end index for the last maybe 5-6 years and quickly find it.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thanks Bob...Found this article ...

To assess the value of pet insurance, Consumer Reports made up "Lucky" the Labrador Retriever.

Over 11 imaginary years, Consumer Reports gave Lucky nine common ailments, including a broken leg, an ear infection, a cut, and a torn knee ligament.

"We researched five plans, and in every case, it would end up costing the owner more with pet insurance, in some cases thousands of dollars more, than just paying the vet bill," Kleman said.

Consumer Reports then gave Lucky a major medical problem to see if that would make pet insurance a better deal.

"Even when we added the extreme expense of a double hip replacement, some of the plans still didn't save the owners money," said Kleman.

Experts say you'd be better off putting your money in a savings account to handle a pet health emergency. That way, if your pet never needs expensive medical treatment, you can use the money to buy him all the treats he can eat.

Experts say one way pet owners can save money is by getting a second opinion on treatment. You want to make sure the recommended procedure is necessary and that you are paying a reasonable price for it.