Those of you with dogs w/heart issues

Thread: Those of you with dogs w/heart issues

Kimmers is offline Senior Member

DefaultThose of you with dogs w/heart issues

Took Sam-dog to the vet this morning.
    I phoned re. that coughing episode the other day and was asked if I could bring him in so our vet could have a listen. This is our new one, so I chalked it up to him wanting to get familiar with all Sam's issues.
    He took a good listen to his heart-and he did hear the (leaky)valve issue that our old vet was monitering.
    He recommended some blood-work etc., and to keep monitering for other signs. Again, he said it's not something to worry about right now-but to just keep an eye on him. So I had a basic blood panel done, and should hear back about that soon. I'm expecting everything to be fine since Sam has been acting great.
    Now I'm not overly familiar with heart issues in dogs-so of course I've been researching this to death like I did with Sam's glaucoma.
    Can anyone recommend some good info sources?

PS: His eye is still bothered with conjunctivitis now and then for those of you wondering. Thanks for the PM's concerning him

Kim & Crew

Beautiful BC, Canada
    JL Member since July 1, 2002

Fear Nothing. Live for Everything.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Those of you with dogs w/heart issues

If I were you I would've requested a chest x-ray. If he has more coughing episodes I'd definately have one done to rule out an enlarged heart, or congestive heart failure. They are both treatable with meds like lasix and enalapril. Just giving you a suggestion. Also I don't mean to scare you, but did his eye problems just start? Just because eye problems and coughing are also both symptoms of blasto.

Kimmers is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Those of you with dogs w/heart issues

No. He had glaucoma in one eye, and had it removed in July as it got very bad. His other eye is being monitered as it has a very good chance of developing it as well. So that's what that part is.
    As for the X-ray, we had one done after our old vet initially discovered the leaky valve. That's why he said it doesn't seem to be anything to be overly concerned about right now. New vet took a look at this x-ray, and depending on the outcome of the bloodwork we may have another one done on Monday.
    Thanks so much for your post, appreciate it.

Kim & Crew

Beautiful BC, Canada
    JL Member since July 1, 2002

Fear Nothing. Live for Everything.