Max has a very bad cough....quick help please?

Thread: Max has a very bad cough....quick help please?

DefaultMax has a very bad cough....quick help please?

Max has had a bad cough since last night. Its almost like what we would call a "deep barking cough". Hes been outside running around alot yesterday and today. Which I do have to say isnt normal but its been nice and mom wanted to be outside. He ate normally last night dinner and this morning breakfast. Been drinking water and using the bathroom as usual. Any advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Max has a very bad cough....quick help please?

Sounds like it could be kennel cough. You can try giving him Robitussin DM; but getting it down ain't pretty. I think they also make pills.

Thanks, thats what I was thinking. I did a search (after I posted) and found that it may go away without a trip to the dr. Gosh, it just sounds so bad. I sure hope it sounds worse then it really is. I guess Ill run out and get some Robitussin.

Edited to add: Any idea how much? He weighs about 60 pounds.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mybabymambo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zoezoe
    Sounds like it could be kennel cough. You can try giving him Robitussin DM; but getting it down ain't pretty. I think they also make pills.
    I went on the hunt for pills, but coulfd't find DM. Thats the worse thing ever is to give it to him. Mambo would run as soon as I opened it. I got more on me than in him.

Hope your puppy feels better soon. Mambo has had it three times, not a big issue. Some antibiotics from vet and cough syrup and he is back to normal.

Thanks for the info. I did some research on KC, and it sounds kinda that it will go away on its own. It just sounds so bad. Like he is trying to get sick or something is caught there. Poor guy, I hope it passes quick.

Mybabymambo Guest

Does it go away on its own? I have always had to gets meds to get rid of it. Hope he feels better.

Raleigh has had KC twice ... first time we got a cough suppressant from the vet ... second time it was so mild that it was gone before we realized it. Neither time did it affect his appetite, not did it have any lingering affects. Hope Max feels better quickly!

I get the robitussin cough for infants and it come with a dropper that makes it very easy to dose.

Kennell cough......give him cough syrup and he will be fine. No need to take him to the vet

Aw Max, hope you feel better soon, buddy!

The first time Maggie had KC it was so awful I took her to the vet and got meds. After that, I knew what it was and she didn't seem to have it nearly as bad as the first time. It went away on it's own. That said, if the cough gets worse, off to the vet you should go!