Dog Park Suggestions needed!

Thread: Dog Park Suggestions needed!

DefaultDog Park Suggestions needed!

We have no off-leash areas in my community right now. I contacted our municipal councillor about it and what good timing! She said there is a meeting coming up the 1st of February to discuss this. The guy who is in charge of it contacted me and explained that he is putting together a strategy based on some of the other off-leash areas that other communities across Canada have. At the meeting, "our" job will be to critique his strategy and make suggestions. Just wondering if anyone else has done this? And also what things would you suggest suggesting??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Dog Park Suggestions needed!

There is a wealth of info here on our Houston Dog Park Association website.
    http://www.houstondogpark.org/
    There is this section under "Resources" on starting a new park.
    http://www.houstondogpark.org/startpark.htm

Here in Harris County our Millie Bush Bark Park was selected as the Number One park in the US last year by Dog Fancy Magazine. As Park Planner for the County my office did all of the research and design for this facility so I would be happy to answer any questions you may have. My work email is
    [email protected]
    Good Luck.

We have a great off-leash park south of Syracuse. It is on the edge of a county park. In the county park the dogs have to be on leash and areas such as the beach they are not allowed. The area the dogs are allowed is about 10 acres. Posted at the front of the park are the rules of the park. The dogs have to be well behaved and socialized. To be off-leash the dogs have to be able to come back to the owner on a verbal recall. Owners are responsible for cleaning up any messes their dogs make and the park provides garbage cans and plastic bags at two different stations in the park for the dog owners. I would make sure there were barriers, natural, trees, brush and such or fences, so the dogs weren't in danger of running into the road. The one thing I wish they hadn't done is put a Frisbee golf course right through the middle of the dog park! : I mean what were they thinking? Its can get real interesting when a golfer toting his bag of 15 discs decides to "play through" at 10 am on a Saturday morning. olice:
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

The one thing I wish they hadn't done is put a Frisbee golf course right through the middle of the dog park!
    Oh I would love to see that. I can see every dog in the park chasing all of those frisbees. Some things just shouldn't be mixed and Dog Park and Frisbee Golf is one. ;D

Oh I would love to see that. I can see every dog in the park chasing all of those frisbees. Some things just shouldn't be mixed and Dog Park and Frisbee Golf is one. ;D
    [/quote]
    Yeah its like putting sheep on a cattle ranch, somethings are never meant to be.
    There was a guy out there a couple of weeks ago, as soon as he let go of the disc Oona was off. I the guy was screaming at her and flailing his arms. I waited until she got to the Frisbee and yelled, "Leave it!" and "Come!" She pulled up just short of the disc and came back to me. ;D
    Olie

Thanks DukesDad for the helpful links! The co-ordinator in my area is going to send me some documents next week, so I may be contacting you then. I appreciate your input!

And Oona's Dad - The frisbee golf/dog park thing is too funny. I can just imagine how confused the dogs must be about that

No the dogs are never confused, they see a Frisbee in the air in their park its fair game. What's hilarious is watching these people with their little bags in tote screaming at a pack of about 10 dogs. ;D
    Olie