Gracie has been diagnosed with a Luxating Patella - Grade II. I know some of you have gone thru this because I've seen it mentioned on the forum. Can you tell me what ages your labs were when they performed this? Gracie is only 10 months old. I don't know if it's better to have the surgery done while she's young and there is no sign of arthritis or is she not fully developed enough right now?
We have an appt with the ortho vet but I am kind of freaking out and want to hear some positive stories!
I just can't stand to watch her in pain.. her back right leg keeps popping in and out.. even when she walks!
Also, I had researched pet insurance but never really got around to making a decision. I guess if your dog has a pre-existing condition like this it is probably too late to get it?
I did not experience luxated patellas with Dakota but with her sister Sammy the beagle. Sammy had her first one surgically repaired at 10 1/2 months and the second at 15 months. She was experiencing the same thing that Gracie is with the joint popping in and out so I did not feel that repairing the knee could wait. After the first repair she has been on a daily joint enhancer with glucosamine to keep them loose. Sammy will turn 10 years old on Feb 2 and has been a happy and healthy beagle ever since.
as for pet insurance ... you would be correct. almost all policies I looked into exclude pre existing conditions just like for people.
I will be sending out good thoughts for you and Gracie. Let us know what you decide !!
Sorry of no help - but sending good thoughts for her
I know a lab, 3 great danes and 1 bichon who all had the surgery. Only one dane still has a problem after surgery. The bichon was 5 when he had the surgery and did great.
Well Gracie is scheduled fo this surgery next thursday. The past couple of days have been really hard. She freaked out at the ortho vet and was shaking and panting.. and her belly was all wet?? Could she have been sweating??
Anyway they had to sedate her in order to settle her down and get more xrays.. the sedation makes her groggy and sick.. so then she had explosive diarrhea all thru the back of my suv on the way home.. poor baby woke me up to go out 3 times during the middle of the night too.
For those of you that had this surgery.. how did you handle the recovery period? The ortho surgeon said it's a 2 months recovery where she can not jump or run at all.. she even said to keep her on a leash in the house! We have always let her on the couch and bed so I don't know how we're gonig to restrict her now..