Over weight , overfed and over here

Thread: Over weight , overfed and over here

wyntercreek labradors uk Guest

DefaultOver weight , overfed and over here

Is it fair to allow a dog (in this case a Labrador)to get to this weight 161 pounds, two brothers have been prosecuted by the RSPCA (Royal Society for the Prevention Cruelty to Animals here in the UK) they have received a heavy fine, they argued that because the dog had arthritis it became impossible to exercise it, is that a good or reasonable excuse?
    www.labradorsatwyntercreek.co.uk

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Over weight , overfed and over here

I saw that story a while back and I would not accept ANY excuse to allow a dog to become morbidly obese. Did they think that weight was going to help the dog cope with it's arthritis?
    I once saw a Rottie at the dog park that from a distance looked like a very large Pot Belly Pig. It was so sad.
    I once read a very good adage "If your dog is overweight YOU are not getting enough exercise."

Mygirls2 is offline Senior Member

I had Sarah to the vet yesterday to have her glands expressed and the tech commented on the fact that she has lost 2 pounds in two months. She weighs 62 lbs. She suggested I talk to the vet about her weight. Vet said her weight was fine (not too thin) and said he would rather have her that way than to see me killing my dog by overfeeding.

A dog owner has pretty good control over what their dog eats, so I think we should be responsible if our dog it too thin or too heavy unless there are underlying medical conditions.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

What a co-incidence this very story is on the news at the moment, Poor Rusty.... I've never seen such a fat dog...

That is sad I think I read this a while back as well (or maybe it was another one very similar) there is no excuse though. Arthritis or not.