Inhaling Food, Any way to slow it down?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inhaling Food, Any way to slow it down?

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

DefaultInhaling Food, Any way to slow it down?

My puppy is just a shop vac when it comes to eating. I have never seen a pup/dog be this bad. Any sugestions? I thought maybe put a few rocks (to big to be dangerous) or something in with her food to slow her down a bit.
    My daughter thought of just putting her on full feed and then start cutting back after a few days.
    Comments PLEASE? ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Inhaling Food, Any way to slow it down?

I wouldn't put rocks in there but something like a kong would be better, it might help her.

I have a fast eater; I've tried putting in a kong or a few tennis balls to slow her down and have her eat around it. She loves to be petted; we found rubbing her belly while she ate slowed her more than anything. I've also heard some people say they scatter the kibble on the floor.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

wyntercreek labradors uk Guest

Thats Labs for you, they will eat like there is no tomorrow, we have one who will almost choke herself trying to eat her food as quickly as possible, she then looks around to see if anyone has left any more for her, Do you feed Dry Whole food? or is it mixed with gravy or water, we started to add some dry Bonio biscuits to her food, (those in the shape of a bone) and because she could not gulp them down she has to eat slower.

I have this problem with Shadow.If I have time I will slowly give him food so he has no chance to suck it down without chewing.
    There is an advantage though,if you spill something on the kitchen floor the dog can eat,a Lab does a perfect job at making sure every little piece is picked up.My cats have spilled food a few times and Shadow loves the cat food.I pick most up but give him a little bit of a taste to.

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

Thanks you guys, keep the ideas coming, there are some good ones here that I will try this week end.
    Do you think I am maybe not feeding her enough?
    We got her at 6 weeks. She is now 11 weeks old and weight in at 15.5 lbs.
    I feed her a round Correl coffee cup per day. most of it in the am with a cooked scrambled egg and the rest of it in the pm plain. She looks good, not to fat not to skinny. I just had her to the vet on Tuesday and he seemed to think she looked great.

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jane
    Thanks you guys, keep the ideas coming, there are some good ones here that I will try this week end.
    Do you think I am maybe not feeding her enough?
    We got her at 6 weeks. She is now 11 weeks old and weight in at 15.5 lbs.
    I feed her a round Correl coffee cup per day. most of it in the am with a cooked scrambled egg and the rest of it in the pm plain. She looks good, not to fat not to skinny. I just had her to the vet on Tuesday and he seemed to think she looked great.
    I'm not really sure how much food that is. What kind of food are you feeding her? How much in cups do you think it is? At that age I was feeding Elias 3 times a day, maybe spreading it over 3 feedings might help.

I tried the kong, big nylabones etc, but my girls will pick those up and remove it from the dish before eating.
    So, I have been using two can food (beggie) in their food dish. Because it is too heavy for them to pick it up.

A lot of people have found this food bowl helps a lot in slowing down fast eaters (See link below). As your dog ages gulping down food can possibly lead to a bloat condition so it's important to do anything you cvan to slow them down. Hopefully you are feeding at least twice a day.
    http://www.brake-fast.net/clients.htm

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Someone posted this bowl on here a while ago and I have my eye on it.
    This is a genius idea -why it was not thought of years ago is beyond me

http://www.brake-fast.net/index.htm
    Kim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast