? for those who rescue

Thread: ? for those who rescue

Default? for those who rescue

I've been volenteering at our local humane society for about 6 months now. I walk the dogs twice a week. There are a lot of full blooded dogs there as well as cute mixes of course. A while back there was a full blooded Weimeriner there. He was super sweet loved to play and seemed to have some training. I contacted the local Weim rescue to see if they had room to take him hopeing they could find him a more suitable home than just someone who thought he was cute and adopted him and returned him because they didn't knwo what they were getting. The lady from the rescue was very nice but said she didn't think she could help as in the past the HS has been very unwilling to let the rescues have the dogs. She said last summer one of their volenteers tried to pull a dog from there and they wouldn't let them they even offered to pay the $255 fee they were asking and they said no. She said the only time they will allow them to have a dog is if it has problems and they don't want to put it up for adoption. This kind of baffled me why would they not let the rescue take the dog and get it into foster care? There are several full blodded labs there now as well along with tons of mixes of course.

Sorry this is so long I guess my questions for those who rescue are.
    1. Where do you normally get the dogs is it just local pounds AC facilites that are high kill or do you get some from Humane societies as well?
    2. Have you found this to be the case where you are? The local HS isn't cooperative?

I guess my thinking is certain dogs like a Weim or Lab that are really good dogs but not a dog for everyone would be better in a rescue where they are most likely in a home until found a home that understands what they are getting.
    Our Humane Society is pretty busy and adopted out almost 5000 dogs last year the Weim was there maybe 2 weeks. Some of the labs are there a few days some a few months. Once a dog is on the adoption floor they are there until they are adopted as well so there isn't a threat of them being put down once they are put up for adoption.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: ? for those who rescue

Some Humane Societies consider themselves RESCUE groups and from what this sounds; they were wanting to adopt the dog out themselves. Most of our dogs came from shelters or owner-turnins. Very rarely will one rescue group transfer a dog to another. Crazy sometimes how they seem to work "against" each other rather than "with" one another. Shelters don't charge for rescue groups that are licensed to pull a dog ... sometimes, if they have vetted the animal, they might ask for a small fee (around $15); otherwise, most are glad to have the recues get the dogs. In this case, sounds like the Humane Society is a rescue group in and of itself and considers the dogs their's to adopt.

I know they will take any dog or cat but they charge a $25 fee/animal to take them. Then they evaluate the animal for temperment and adoptability and give shots and spay/nuter them if they are not already.

I'm mainly just curious I think they do a good job of adopting them out but I would prefer to see them in foster homes with a rescue if they had room.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

We got both our dogs from registered rescue. We had to pay an adoption fee, which goes back in to the charity for the dogs. We are looking into fostering some of the dogs as there is a huge amount of labs needing homes. I did get on my sopa box in another thread about the fact of dogs being put out once the owners are bored, its no different to having a child and you certainly wouldnt out a child out once you were bored. Some places claim to be sanctuaries for the dogs, but the state of the places are little to be desired. Maybe the rescue place said no for a reason, Unless its a registered place I would be very wary about placing a dog there. xx

The dogs would have to go to the rescue before the Humane Society claimed them as "theirs"; if that makes sense. From what you've explained, the HS is a rescue of it's own; I'm surprised they don't have any foster homes at all; some of them do.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Humane Societies and Shelters are more often than not VERY different. Human societies act more like rescues and try and work with each dog (having it fully taken care of medically) and learn their behaviors and match it with a family with similar interests. Shelters are more often county run, don't have much funds to do much of anything and will basically hand a dog over if someone pays a fee.

High kill/high yield shelters do work with rescues...because of the sheer volume. Humane societies can afford to be picky...and they don't need to transfer out because most times the animals are not in danger of being pts. I get calls all of the time about dogs in this shelter and dogs in that shelter. Problem is, I am a rescue. We work to save the ones that are in danger of being pts. THat meaning, they have been at the shelter for longer than their period of time and have had no interest generated in their adoption but are still adoptable dogs. Rescues sometimes just get caught up in the moment and try and pull dogs before the shelters have had the opportunity to adopt it out to the public. They need funding too...and their adoption fees keep shelters functioning.

I won't even look at dogs unless they are at the very end of their welcomes at a shelter...with some exceptions being with dogs that would generate the wrong type of interest..like Mady...she surely would have been snatched up to be bred. The shelter released her to us as soon as they could...on their request.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Thank you for the replies it helps clear things up some. I was mainly curious.

I do like our Humane Society and they are pretty through about who adopts animals and ask plenty of questions require them to be kept inside and all that. They had an adoption matchmaker program that was supposed to be volenteers working with families to help them find a dog that suits them best but I've never seen any of them at the shelter and don't know if it is activly being used. They have something on their website about becoming a foster family but I don't beleive they have many other than the workers who take some home with them that need more care.

There is also the city shelter close to where I live and you right Dani it is a VERY different place. Very sad 3 dogs to a kennel and very little interaction between the staff and animals from the way it looked.

I praise all of you who are able to help rescue the babies out there looking for a good home. Hopefully one day I'll be able to help as well. Right now I'll keep walking and working with the dogs at the HS until life allows me to get more involved.
    Thanks again