When is it too cold
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When is it too cold

DefaultWhen is it too cold

I was wondering when it is too cold to take a pup out for a walk? Cooper is 3 1/2 months old and it is -18 here today. He seems to want to go out for his walk but I am afraid it is too cold for his paws....? (Maybe it is just too cold for me)

By the way I posted earlier that he had megaesophagus, thanks for the replies, I was too upset to respond, I have taken him to a new vet who doesn't think it is true megaesophagus? He will re-xray him when he is neutured in March. Keeping my fingers crossed, he doesn't seem to have any problems with food just water. I guess it is always good to get a second opinion!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mybabymambo Guest

DefaultRe: When is it too cold

Where are you located that its that cold? Sorry I have no advice its in the 70's here

Kathryn Guest

-18 there? Its -8 here right now and not suppost to make it past 1F Im not letting my girls out other than to potty and back in.
    I would think its to cold for his feet I would keep him in and find a nice game of run around the house crazy to play!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

It's only too cold when it's too cold for you.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Caseys Mom Guest

Casey usually starts to lift her paws (i.e. cold feet) when the temps are in the -10 to -15 F range so we stop our walks then. This morning we had -15 and windchills in the -40's so no walk for Casey and she's not a happy camper. :
    Puppies aren't very good at regulating their body temperatures or knowing when they've had enough. IMHO -18 is too cold for more than just a quick potty romp in the yard. But being confined to the house is a great chance to invent some new indoor games, practice commands and teach new tricks.

Thanks, I think I will try the indoor training today! By the way I am in British Columbia (Kamloops)!

At least it is Sunny today!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

When they say on the news not to stay out to long due to frostbite warning...probably best to keep them in (other than potty breaks)

But trust me - i can get pretty darn cold and they're fine. though if you were to go from say -5 (c) to -40 (c) in two days i'd worry as they haven't had the time to adapt to the cold.

Keep an eye on the sand/salt - both rocky and dryf would start limping but not due to the cold; but because a rock was stuck in the paw.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Blondedog Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cooperpup
    Thanks, I think I will try the indoor training today! By the way I am in British Columbia (Kamloops)!

I feel for you we are in south east B.C. and it is supposed to get down to -32C tonight. I brought bones home today and I think we will run around in the house tonight.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blondedog
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooperpup

I feel for you we are in south east B.C. and it is supposed to get down to -32C tonight. I brought bones home today and I think we will run around in the house tonight.
    Ok I admit - at -32 I might consider very short walks and try to stay indoors too
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Sweet mother of mercy- it is COLD where you are!!! I can't get over that!

I know this makes me sound stupid and Southern, but I get wimpy when it's 32 degrees ABOVE freezing. Yikes yikes yikes. I can't imagine negative temperatures!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast