I have to revise and say....there is no suffering by him with this cancer. It is not the type that makes the animal sick. What happens is it finally ruptures and then bleeds into the body and they slowly lose conciousness.
I have to make a decision on whether or not to give Tank chemo or not. I talked to the oncologist this afternoon. He explained everything. No guarantee that he may not bleed out from a rupture of the tumor he has on his liver at any time.....tomorrow.....next week...next month. It could also rupture, bleed some then stop and his body absorbs the blood and he recovers for while. He explained that chemo is different on a dog because they do not give the high doses that they give humans. They do not want to make their lives miserable just try to extend it. There is a 1% chance he could get sick enough from the chemo that he would have to be put down. 10% of dogs do not tolerate it and need to stop. The ones that can handle it could experience stomach upset, diarrehea...the stuff that they can have from most medications they take. Of course it will not stop the cancer but it is possible to slow it down and extend his life. Here is what his report said:If you can try to put yourself in this position and money is not an object what would you do?Median survival time after surgerical removal of the primary mass is reported to be 2-3 months, with the addition of chemotherapy increasing the median survival time to 6-8 months. However, Tank also has a large mass on his liver which may bleed out at any time.
Sandie, Tank 5/25/1998 - 07/08/2011, Orson & Sully
Well,Cancer is not a very nice thing to suffer from,Human or Animal.I really don't have an answer for you on this.It is something you will have to decide you want to give Tank.But you have to take in to consideration how much more suffering you can both take from this.Its not an easy choice to make.But in the end,its going to come down to one thing.He is still going to pass away eventually.Like I said I have no real answer for you but whatever you decide to do,I hope it works out for the best for both of you.And sorry to hear the bad news.
My moms friend had a dog who got cancer and they decided to go ahead with the chemo.
After watching Cody (the dog) deal with it I would NOT do it.. He was VERY VERY sick. They did get an extra 3 months with him before they decided it was time.
I am so sorry you have to go through this. I know it has to be very hard.
(((HUGS))) I know you will do whats best for you and Tank.
Oh, Sandie, I'm so sorry again. I have been thinking about Tank all day. I have no experience with dog chemo, so I really don't know what to say. I guess the 4-5 more months vs. only a 1% chance of life-threatening side-effects would incline me toward doing it. But I would really want to know a lot about his quality of life. If he's not in the 10%, will he be comfortable, happy, able to move around and enjoy his time with you?
I know you will make the right decision for Tank. You know him better than anyone else in the world.
I dont think I would. If it may only prolong his life by a few months, then I think I would just enjoy the time I had left and pray for a painless cross.
But that being said, I am not in that position and if I was I might feel different.
You must have some feeling on what you are thinking, go with your gut Sandie. You know what is best for Tank either way.
I am sorry that you are in this position and my thoughts and prayers are with your family at this difficult time. :-\
I would want to know what they think his quality of life will be while he's on the chemo. What will it be if he doesn't take it? Will it improve the quality of his life or just extend it? If the answer is extend but diminish the quality, I wouldn't do it. If it will extend and keep the quality the same or improve, then I would try it and discontinue if it caused side effects.
Gosh what a terrible decision to have to make. I have had to and it isn't easy.
If it would extend his life a little and his quality of life would not change too much I would probably do it. If I saw that it wasn't helping him or making him miserable I would probably stop and just enjoy the time we had left together.
Whatever you decide know that we are all here for you.
Oh, sweetheart. Never having been in your position, I could not possibly be of any help.
Like I mentioned earlier, you and your SU will come to the very best decision for Tank.
Murphy, Riley, and Piper
oh, my gosh, I am so sorry about what you're going through. I don't post often, but I always love seeing pictures of Tank. He's such a beautiful dog. I just had to let you know I'm so sorry for what you are going through.
Its hard to say what I would do if in your situation, I can't imagine life without Storm so I would probably do Chemo, but only if I felt her life would still be happy and free of pain for those few months.
I'm so sorry - hugs to you and your family!
Sort of how I feel. My only experience with a chemo dog was not good. It was not my dog; someone I worked for. I have always told myself I wouldn't do it, but then again; I've not been in that position. I think you'll get answers from both sides, but you have to go with what your gut tells you is best for all of you. You guys will be in my prayers.Originally Posted by pipersmom13