I dont have answer for you, I just feel so bad. Just wanted to let you know you are my thoughts and prayers. You will make the right decision....
You will know in your heart what is the right decision. I'm so sorry.
I don't know what I would do.
Like Nathan and others said, I think it heavily depends on his quality of life now. My gut feeling is that I would not do the chemo and just treasure each and every moment with him.
I'm more sorry than I can say for you and Tank and everyone else.
What a heartbreaking decision to have to make. I am so sorry you and Tankie are going through this.
I think if it were me, I'd be unwilling to risk side unpleasant effects from chemo. I'd try to make him as comfortable and happy as possible.
This makes me so sad. :'( You're both in my thoughts.
Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
Hi Sandie and Tank,
I first wanted to let you know im so sorry about Tank, and what you are going through. I dont post much, but I read a lot and you and Tank are both in my thoughts. It brings me back to a sad part of my life, and it breaks my heart. :'(
I wanted to share my experience with cancer and what we went through. My first dog was a black lab, her name was Deegan. She was a lot like Tank, but a female. My tomboy you could say. When she was 6 years old she was diagnoised with spleen cancer. We were given similiar options as you, and we decided to go with chemo because she was so young, and because the doc was confident we were in early enough stages. She went through 2 rounds, when she passed away. If given the chance to do it again, I wouldn't do the treatment. My poor Deegan, she was used to a very active life, even after 3 years old she never calmed down like everyone said she would. I say I woudnt do it again because the following days after her treatment were so sad, she was very tired, and out of it- and just didn't seem happy. I wish I had made the decision to monitor her, and see what happened and end the suffering if it got to be to much. I have the fondest of memories of her, but her last days were not the quality of life I had wished they were. Whatever you choose to do for Tank will be the right decision. We are thinking about you; Sandie, and I hope Tank has a speedy recovery. Lots of love and hugs from Grace and Tundra
Sandie, I can't imagine how agonizing this is for you. But honestly sitting in the cheap seats without the real emotion behind it, I probably would not opt to put Rider through that. But being in the moment, my mind could cetainly change. My heart aches for you. Sending you lots of love and prayers.
Dani, Rider & Rookie
SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC
Member Since 6/2003
Like the others I have no first hand experience with chemo. We lost our first Lab from a tumor that ruptured and she died on the operating table while they were trying to save her - we didn't know when she went in that we were saying goodby and that was so very hard. I would ask the vet if they thought the chemo would decrease any pain or discomfort Tank might be having from the tumor before I made the decision. I "think" I would be leanikng toward comfort rather than chemo knowing that it was only prolonging his life for a short time. The number one priority, for me, would be his comfort and enjoyment of his remaining time with you. Again, only you will know what is right for you - there isn't a right or wrong choice. My heart goes out to you.
There is no outside answer for you. I cannot even put myself in that situation because so many other things factor into it - none of them monetary.
You have to do what you feel is right in your heart. I know what it is like to have an ill dog and knowing how precious ever day is, never knowing when it will be the last. I take each health issue as they come at me and know in the back of my mind I won't be a hero and I won't be selfish in my decision making.
I can say I feel your pain and my thoughts are with you.
God, Sandie. I am just so sorry.
You know all of this brings back Crash to me. He had a tumor on his liver as well, you know. We didn't discover it until he was suddenly very, very ill. The emergency vet felt it, x-rayed, and the next day he was in surgery at his vet's.
He did not make it out of recovery.
I always wondered, you know. What if he had not bled out? What would the outcome have been? Was his tumor malignant? I never knew. They were going to send it out for biopsy. I never called to check the results. I decided I didn't really want to know. :'( It didn't matter. He was gone.
Now, this is reminding me so much of him. I can't help but wonder if this is what we'd have been facing with Crash. Do you know what I mean? Oh, it just hits so close to home.
I can't give you any advice. Only you know what is right to do for you, for Tank. I will tell you some things that I felt, though. Sometimes hearing how other people felt, what their thoughts were, can help on some level.
I remember Kevin and I prayed in the parking lot at the vet's. I prayed to God that if Crash couldn't be healthy, if he was going to suffer with a disease and be in a lot of pain and discomfort, I prayed, please God, take him now. :'( :'( :'( Oh my. Sandie, He did. :'( I just didn't want him to suffer. But, I also didn't want him to leave me. Oh, this is really making me cry...
The boys are now looking at me like, "Are you OK Mom?" Sweet boys.
Anyway...my first thought when we found out that Crash had this tumor was, "I don't want him to suffer." That was the very first thing that popped in my head. My head was spinning, it was all happening so fast. At least you have time on your side and are not forced into making a lot of decisions very quickly. That's good.
Anyway, I remember one of the first things I asked the vet was, "What are the real chances that he will make it?" He was in pretty bad shape by the next morning, and I didn't think he seemed strong enough to survive a major surgery. I wanted to know if the vet thought that the kindest, most humane thing we could do for him was gently put him to sleep. :'( :'( :'( Oh, how I wish now it had been that easy for him. Of course, at the time she assured me that she had done these surgeries successfully before, there was a good shot he would recover. So naturally, if there was hope at all, I wanted to try. But now, looking back...I just wish I could have been there with him, and that he would not have been in any pain. It breaks my heart every time I think about it. And I still think about it on an almost daily basis.
I don't know if any of this helps, Sandie. I guess my thought is that if I were in your shoes I would want to do for him whatever was kindest for him. So, if the chemo could extend his life and I was sure it wouldn't degrade the quality of his life, then I would try that. But I would never want him to suffer.
I know you'll do the right thing. Sweetie, please let me know if I can ever do anything to help. Whatever I can do. OK?
Connie and "The Boys":
Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD
Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever
Oh I am so, so sorry about Tank. What a terribly difficult decision. I would ask the vet, and get a second opinion from another vet as to what they would do if it was their own dog. I know I wouldn't want my pet to be in any pain or suffer :'(
God bless and keep you in your decision.