What am I going to do with him? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What am I going to do with him?

Samson is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What am I going to do with him?

Go to obedience class with him

Health problems shouldn't stop you from doing that with him.

He needs mental stimulation

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I tried the pinch collar and it doesn't seem to bother him.I have tried adjusting it in different places.I may try and get a harness when I get the money and see if that helps any.
    There are other options. You can try the Gentle Leader/Halti, the Easy Walk Harness or (and this is what I use) a correctly positioned rope leash up against the ears.

I would think if the Pinch collar is having no effect at all you have positioned and/or fitted it incorrectly.

RebaHalle is offline Senior Member

I would definitely try marrow bones from the butcher. Also provide plenty of other toys which have a high durability. I think you will find that you can stay out there with them and not have to stay active with them. I have a large fenced yard and often just am out there with them; not necessarily doing any more than sitting at the picnic table having a cup of coffee or puttering around in my small garden or trimming some of the bushes. Or scooping up the poop, cleaning the water dish. My pockets generally have treats in them and we do off leash obedience and a little agility and tricks. I don't scold Reba for chewing the firewood, but try to give her an alternative - distract her and give her something else.

Needless to say, my yard is not a well manicured place, but we have fun.

Judy, mom to Reba, the Lab, and Jalapeno (Halle), the JRT

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Car sickness is something that CAN be changed. We experienced this with Larry when we first rescued him. Ginger snaps help a LOT, and there are other (non-painful/upsetting) methods to help your dog overcome this anxiety.

I'd be more than happy to explain to you in more detail how we helped Larry over his if you're interested. Feel free to PM me.

Edited to stress how important it is for your dogs to see and do new things. The more they learn, see, and do, the more mentally and physically exhausted they are. Teaching them new tricks and taking them places makes them happier, healthier dogs.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

if you're not able to walk the dogs, hire a dogwalker or take them to a daycare. Even once a week will help take some of the edge off.

I hate to say this, but if that isn't feasible for you, perhaps its time to take a good hard look at your life and the dogs' life - are you able (financially and physically) to provide what the dogs need? If not, it may be time to look for a new home for them. I had a border collie mix in university, when I had the schedule and time to look after her exercise needs. After graduation, I got a full time job and an apartment downtown, and my time with her was cut to weekday leash walks and weekend jaunts - not enough for a young energetic collie. So I found her a good country home (*note I rehomed her myself, I didn't take her to the shelter) and contented myself with cats till I had the space and time for a dog.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    if you're not able to walk the dogs, hire a dogwalker or take them to a daycare. Even once a week will help take some of the edge off.

I hate to say this, but if that isn't feasible for you, perhaps its time to take a good hard look at your life and the dogs' life - are you able (financially and physically) to provide what the dogs need? If not, it may be time to look for a new home for them. I had a border collie mix in university, when I had the schedule and time to look after her exercise needs. After graduation, I got a full time job and an apartment downtown, and my time with her was cut to weekday leash walks and weekend jaunts - not enough for a young energetic collie. So I found her a good country home (*note I rehomed her myself, I didn't take her to the shelter) and contented myself with cats till I had the space and time for a dog.
    Well said Nancy. I agree. I had to rehome a dog many years ago because I could not devote the time to her she needed. This was after raising her from a pup to nearly 2 years of age. It was painful and hard, but in the end I gave her a better life.

A note on the Pinch collar. If it is not working, it is not being used properly. It changed my life with my boy, who now at almost 4 has not had to use one in a loooong time.
    Kim

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Well, from what I gather, you spend 2+ hours a day playing with them outside (I looked at the video - cute!!). You have a beautifully fenced in yard and it looks like they play very well together. Just watching that video, my two would have been worn out after that play period! It sounds like yours need more exercise / stimulation than most.
    (financially and physically) to provide what the dogs need? If not, it may be time to look for a new home for them.
    Nope, I disagree with that. There are ways around your physical disability. Marrow bones, Chuck-It, daily training indoors (sit, stay, down, etc.) rewarding with treats. You can also play "find it" inside or out. Put something delicious in a kong. Have the two of them "stay" while you hide it. Then let them find it. Dog walker, doggie daycare, a couple of times a week. There are lots of things you can do.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Also, what about bringing another dog over for a play date? Since you have a fenced yard, it is obviously a safe place for the dogs to be off-lead.

Naturally, it would have to be a dog that your two get along with, but this might give all three dogs an opportunity for some new fun.

I also have fibro. I know there are different degrees and so far; mine has not been as serious as others. Some days are downright horrible ... but there are other days I forget I even have it. Try to pace yourself; take the advice about using a prong for walking and have someone show you the proper way to fit for it. I don't walk my dogs as much as I used to or probably should, but they are inside with me are I am outside with them even if it's just tossing the ball for them. They are never out unsupervised for more than 10 minutes at a time. It's good they have each other to play with. Is there a dog park in your area where you can take them (IF they are social with other dogs).
    Some aerobic exercise is good for you, too ... I'm good at dishing out advice; not always take it for myself!
    Good luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris

I hate to say this, but if that isn't feasible for you, perhaps its time to take a good hard look at your life and the dogs' life - are you able (financially and physically) to provide what the dogs need? If not, it may be time to look for a new home for them.
    I Never want to see someone tell me I should rehome my dogs.I asked for advice not for someone to tell me to rehome my dogs.It may be something you have the heart to do but not me.I got Shadow because I wanted him not rehome him like someone else did.He has been with me for 6 months now and has settled in here.I am not about to uproot him,I will find a way to keep him busy,that is why I asked for advice for.It is not my fault I am the way I am.If people would learn to drive then I would not be in this situation to begin with.
    I know some days with FMS are better then others,that past 1.5 weeks have been pretty harsh for me.Next week should be a better week adn I can try and get out and get both dogs a walk,even if it is just a short walk,atleast it will be a change of scenary for them.
    Now no more of this rehoming BS.got it?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast