Not sure if I'm being a snob or not but....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not sure if I'm being a snob or not but....

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultNot sure if I'm being a snob or not but....

I've noticed that most of the little dogs in our obedience class are snotty. Every time Moose even gets close they will snarl. Is this normal, or have I gotten a bunch of high strung ones?

I also think that it is odd that out of the 10 people in class that I'm the one with a lab, or big dog. I'm terrible at breeds, but we have at least 1 silky (she is really cute), an italian greyhound (very snooty), several mutts (both of which have issues), shaggy dog (I'm sure it has a real breed name), several shelties and a few other small dogs.

The shaggy dog is really a hoot. It had been shown for conformation and the couple that now own him just recently got him. He isn't much into listening and is so goofy in a very humorous way. He does make me laugh every week.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Not sure if I'm being a snob or not but....

Little dogs think they rule the world. LOL

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    Little dogs think they rule the world. LOL
    ain't that the truth!! Our trainer says a min pin is one of the most stubborn dogs to train. Little napoloen!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

A very dear friend of mine has a miniture jack russle and every time we go round, she just wants to beat up Twix!!! Its so funny, I mean Millie (the Jack Russle) is not even the size of Twix's head!! Most small dogs have the same syndrome as small men!! Little big dog/man syndrome. The smaller they are the harder they think they are!! :

[attachment deleted by admin]

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

I find this odd, too. You would think that since it's easier to take little dogs with you, they'd be better socialized. But it seems that a lot of "little-dog" people don't bother socializing little Princess or Queenie or whatever. We have a couple of little terriers in the neighbhorhood who are all barking and teeth; poor Theo is scared of them.

It's not all breed traits, because I've met wonderful little terriers and dachshunds and even min pins. I have yet to meet a nice Chi, however. :

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

awww...Cricket is little...and she LOVES other doggies and people...she does a full body wag when she sees a potential friend.. not all small doggies are jerks.

she may bark but it is "come play with me" bark..

I think some of it has to do with the owner's not socializing enough, treating their small dog like a baby and allowing them to think they are in charge.

I think Mollyrock hit the nail on the head most little dog owners treat them like babies and let them think they are in charge. We have a yorkie (he was my husbands when we met) and he's pretty much a wiggle bit when it comes to people and other dogs wanting to say hi and play. He's a little intimidated by Mocha but definately not snobby with her. I have to say though he respects me much more than my husband or others because I do dicipline him and make him mind where they just let him do whatever and baby him.

Most of those small dogs are some sort of Terrier or Terrier mix and they are naturally aggressive, originall bred to hunt rodents. At the dog park every time Duke walks past the small dog area one of those small dogs will come charging at the fence snarling and barking and trying to get at Duke. Duke usually pauses a second and looks down at them like they are crazy.
    Add to that disposition the pampering many of them receive and you have a the perfect blend for an ill mannered dog.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I confess. I am a little dog snob too.

Nathan, I have met one semi-nice Chi. Well, at least it didn't try to bite me when it sat in my lap. It was wearing a dress. :-X All the others I have met have been doing a 7.0 on the Richter scale.

I think it's very interesting, the more we go to classes, to see what types of people I gravitate towards and what types of dogs they have. I love most of the people with protection or sporting breeds, or hounds. Most hound people especially seem to be very nice. Now that I think about it, I like every hound owner at the club! I tend not to socialize as much with people who have toy dogs. BUT...is it chicken or egg? Do I snub the people with small dogs because they have small dogs, or is it because they have some basic difference to their personality that doesn't mesh with mine? We'll never know. :P

I agree with most people not making as much of an effort to socialize and/or discipline them. I can understand, too. They are so tiny, I would fear even a harsh word might land on them too hard and break their little back.

I don't think I could ever do a little dog. But if I did one day, I think Cricket is pretty cute.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

I just wanted to add that Cricket has small dog attitude in certain situations...I don't want to make her sound like an angel...she isn't, she is a terrier. Dukesdad is right on...
    She would chase and bark at cars, if I let her, she would bark crazily at every single person or dog that passed by our house, if I let her. She wouldn't likely pick a fight, but I am sure as hell she wouldn't ever back down.
    Cricket would likely take over the house, if I let her...but I don't and so she is alot of fun to be around...

I dropped her off at daycare today (which I do to keep her social skills intact) and when I picked her up and walked out she wiggled at every one we passed on the way out and I passed by an owner and her beagle and Cricket just wiggled and kept going...
    the owner said to me, as I was getting in my car "That is the first Cairn I ever met that didn't go crazy barking at my dog"

Also, I think many owners don't bother doing formal obedience of any sort with small dogs because they don't think they have to. It is only when problems arise later on that you see them going to get some help with training.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast