Why Cuffy and I don't always get along.............
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Cuffy and I don't always get along.............

WigWag Guest

DefaultWhy Cuffy and I don't always get along.............

Let's see where to begin. Cuffy sees ghosts and by this I mean he barks at nothing. He will think he hears something and jump and go tearing through the house to the front door barking and whining. Now that he is partially deaf this doesn't happen quite as much but inevitably he decides that he sees a dead person at our door when Morgan is napping.

Okay now when an actual live visitor comes he does the "tear ass" crazy barking and then proceeds to do his best impression of a proctologist and an ob/gyn or pc doing a prostate exam depending on the gender of the guest. He is a terrible "poker" despite nearly 10 years of my so-called training with him. Cuffy doesn't take well to "training" (I can see him saying this complete with the air quotes) because Cuffy does what Cuffy wants when Cuffy wants to do it. If he feels like listening to stupid commands he will but if he doesn't then so be it.

He hates to have his photo taken and will actually close his eyes if I attempt to make him sit and pose. Then if I give a "STAY" command he waits until all the others in the photo are looking pretty and he gets up and walks away.

Now when we go outside to play he never will go and get a bumper or ball like everyone else. He tries to poke me about 72 times and I tell him "GO GET A BUMPER!" at least 30 times before he will pick up one of the dozen or so readily available to him. Sometimes he will retrieve whole heartedly but other times he will run half way out and stand and stalk someone else and attempt to take the ball or bumper away as they return. He will play tug and get the other party thoroughly PO'd before I have to break it up and it all starts over again. Yes 72 more pokes.

He growls at me. Yup he will jump on the sofa with SU and when I come in the room and snap and tell him "Get off" he will grumble and growl as he gets off. If I were to go over and hug him while he's on the sofa he will growl.

When I brush or towel off all the dogs he won't wait his turn. I always attend to him first and tell him to wait and of course he doesn't listen. He goes around the backside and pokes. He will NOT listen and rubs up against me forcefully as I try and give the other dogs attention. I mean he will NOT listen. You would hear "CUFFY! NO! SIT! CUFFY! NO! SIT! STAY! CUFFY!" and wonder what the heck was going on and not realize this occurs every time I am brushing out coats that are blowing or drying off wet dogs.

These of course are just a few of what goes on now. In the past when Cuffy was a puppy he destroyed many many items including a wall and a dresser and he ate several light bulbs and wicker baskets. He had so many x-rays as a puppy he might have glowed in the dark. Thankfully nothing ever got stuck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Why Cuffy and I don't always get along.............

Those are all of the things that would endear him to me
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Oh, dear. LOL! That was beautifully told. See, now all that only makes me like him more. I'm very glad he's YOUR dog.

Re: the growling--is it like Shepherd or Rottie "talking," or is he really warning you? I would think he'd have learned by now that you Don't Mess with Mom!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sounds SO normal to me!!

I love Cuffy!!

snicksmom is offline Senior Member

Being the "mom" of a stubborn, sometimes challenging dog myself, I can totally relate to this post....and have to wonder sometimes how we can see past all their annoying habits and love them so dearly!

Great post!
    Sue & Snicks in New Hampshire

"I got the ball Mom....!!!"

patm is offline Senior Member

It's like having a kid that you really don't like all that well, even though you might love them :-\

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

that is why I love Cuffyman....except for the growly part...

Cuffy....you make your momma a really mad!

WigWag Guest

Re: the growling--is it like Shepherd or Rottie "talking," or is he really warning you? I would think he'd have learned by now that you Don't Mess with Mom!
    He's talking. He does it to me and to the cats and the kids as well. He has never shown any inclination to snap. Remember Cuffy does what Cuffy wants to do when Cuffy wants to do it! My "training" to get him to stop growling literally falls on deaf ears!

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

ohmaagod Your first post in this thread had me laughing right out loud!!!

as Nathan so eloquently said,
    I'm very glad he's YOUR dog.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by WigWag
    He's talking. He does it to me and to the cats and the kids as well. He has never shown any inclination to snap. Remember Cuffy does what Cuffy wants to do when Cuffy wants to do it! My "training" to get him to stop growling literally falls on deaf ears!
    I love the grumbling. My sister's Shepherd does it too; it's so funny.

Me: "Sasha, get off the bed!"
    Sasha (getting off bed): "Stupid jerk. You're not the boss of me. If you weren't related to my mommy I'd just ignore you."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast