Why is Autumn acting like this?

Thread: Why is Autumn acting like this?

DefaultWhy is Autumn acting like this?

I adopted Autumn in November of 2003. She was about 6/7 months old then so she's about 3 1/2. I have had many dogs in and out of my house in Autumn's life. She's been very well socialized, through 3 levels of obedience, I took her every where with me. Autumn was the best foster dog mom ever. She was so gentle and good with all the puppies. She gently taught them bite inhibition and played with them non stop. She welcomed every adult dog with open paws and made them feel so much more comfortable then they would have been had I not had her. I haven't fostered in about a year and 1/2 but I've had dogs over to play, even sleep overs. We go to camp with the Danes/Wolfhound almost every other weekend. All of a sudden she's acting shy/timid. Autumn will not give Angel the time of day. Angel wants to lay with her, play with her and Autumn gets up and runs away. She acts very afraid of her..I just don't get this. Autumn will run, play and still wrestle with Gunny but the minute Angel tries to join in she darts off.

What should I do? I've been doing nothing figuring she'll loosen up but I'm puzzled at this it's just not "Autumn"

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Why is Autumn acting like this?

Wow... I'm surprised too. I know Autumn is like the ambassador in your house to all your fosters.
    Maybe Angel is putting out some negative doggy vibes and she is picking up on them? Or something happened that you didnt see....just grasping at straws here. I say give it time...see if she comes around.

Maybe Angel is putting out some negative doggy vibes and she is picking up on them?
    It really isn't just Angel it takes her longer to warm up to all new dogs lately. I guess it seems move obvious to me now because Angel couldn't be sweeter, she keeps trying and Autumn is snubbing her. I can't figure out what the heck Autumn could possibly be leary of.

Angel (and me) are teaching Gunny patience...lol She bites his head, legs..everything he used to do to torture Autumn..makes me chuckle "pays back are a beotch"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

is it possible that autumn is not 100% feeling well, and she doesn't trust new dogs know and be sensitive to her pressure points, so it's not worth it for her to play with them? or maybe her tolerance level has gone down? ??? grasping at straws.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

It's weird isn't Sunjin?

She does have CHD but her and Gunny are REALLY rough together, even yesterday they were playing rough. Angel just stands there hopping around trying to figure out how to get involved without getting injured..lol. I'm having a heck of a time getting Gunny to understand "gentle" because he's never had to be w/dogs..he's getting it but looks at me like "why, what's wrong with her"

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

is it just Angel that Autumn is shy and timid around?
    maybe she just doesn't like this new foster for whatever reason. Just like people, I can't imagine that a dog, even a well socialized dog like Autumn, likes everyone they meet.

WigWag Guest

Many adult females do not like puppies. They may act aggressively by growling and snapping at the playful pup (much to the owner's shock) or if they are the very patient and/or submissive type they may simply get up and leave in a hurry which is what Autumn is doing. She's not being timid or shy. She is simply choosing to not interact. She is uncomfortable with the playful pup and rather than lose her cool she chooses to leave trying to give her the idea that she doesn't like her right now.

My guess is that the other pups were at your house for a while before they began to interat with her and by that time she was used to them. This new young foster is coming right in and right at her.

It's totally normal behavior and I would allow Autumn to do as she pleases. What can help ease some of her stress is to play with them together outside or take them both for a short walk. Outdoors always helps loosen up dogs. Inside respect her space and keep them separated if Autumn keeps trying to avoid her. Correct the puppy if she chases after her - distract her and also tell her "LEAVE IT" when she goes near Autumn. It's important to Autumn that she knows you "got her back" when she needs it most and you won't allow the puppy to be pushy when she doesn't appreciate that attention right now. This will ease Autumn's anxiety and help her relax and welcome the new pup.