Have you ever noticed...

Thread: Have you ever noticed...

DefaultHave you ever noticed...

Dani's post has me thinking about something that I have noticed. This thought has come up several times but I thought I would share it for a change.

Have you noticed that breeders you know or your own breeder pour their blood, sweat and tears into their dogs and breeding. They go through so much from the time they pick a puppy until the time that dog is finally retired from breeding and living the easy life. I constantly hear from breeders on a list I joined about matches that don't produce exactly what you were expecting, AI's needing to be done, breedings not taking, c-sections, puppies not making it, etc. It is a bitter sweet journey and breeders do it for the love of the breed they are interested in.

I'm commending reputable breeders by the way.

The other thing that I have noticed is that some joe-blow jacka$$ off the street will take his dog, throw her in with a male when he notices that she went into heat (if he even has to notice because he has a male to go with his female) and then has no problems with getting her pregnant, no problem with whelping, no problem with anything and he gets a large litter of umpteen dozen puppies (ok I'm exaggerating a little) but it always seem like a large litter and then he has no problem unloading them.

I find it really frustrating but I just seemed to notice this particular bend to Murphy's law. Just thought I would mention it. I have talked to people who are backyard breeders and they never seem to have a problem with breeding. I don't go looking for them but when I first started looking for a pup before we got Petey, I talked to a few and realized quickly that I needed to go and do more homework. I have also had a few people contact me to use Petey that I turned down, as well as an old college friend that is breeding mixed labs with no problems with litters or anything.

Speaking of her, I haven't talked to her since she told me she was breeding. I guess I withdrew without even realizing it. LOL. So that is my musings just thought I would air them out. ;D

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Have you ever noticed...

It seems that way sometimes, doesn't it? But remember there are other problems that are alot more likely to occur..such as genetic problems, temperament problems and the like. And reputrable breeders do not always have those problems you mentioned..I suspect the BYB have alot more problems than we are aware of.

Still, I feel for any puppies in a litter that is produced because someone thought they are cute and wanted to make some $$ off those little ones.

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

I feel like that way with humans... in 1996 I was due to have my first child. My pregnancy was normal... and all was well until 3 days before my due date. My baby was stillborn. I was devasted. I didn't drink, smoke, do drugs....... I DID everything RIGHT... and my baby died... yet, irresponsible..... looser people... who had an 'ooopsss' had a healthy baby...... 11 years later.. I can't make sense of it all.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

I know it certainly seems that way sometimes. However, I think because people look forward to the breedings and count on them, the ones that don't go well are more noticed and commented on. The first time we were down for a puppy with Theo's breeder, it was a false pregnancy. I remember the breeder telling us that the worst thing was having to call all the people on the waiting list and disappoint them. Then in the next breeding there were only three--she chose one as a co-own, and another went to longtime friends who were looking for a new hunting and obedience dog. That left only one runty little boy, and I called her every day until she let me come look at him.

Good breeders simply aren't in it for the money. After they do clearances, show their dogs, pay for vet bills, shots, food I doubt they make anything at all in the long run. They truly are "in it" for the betterment of the breed.