Books?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Books?

DefaultBooks?

I am ordering some books from Amazon. I am getting these:

Patricia McConnell - Feeling Outnumbered and How to be the Leader of the Pack
    Jean Donaldson - Fight and Mine

Any other suggestions before I checkout? I am always wanting to add more books to my library.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Books?

What are you interested in? Suzanne Clothier's "Bones would Rain from the Sky" is a good read... one of my favourites is "Lost History of the Canine Race" - I reread it again and again, and the photos are fascinating. Brenda Aloff has a new photo-based book out on canine body language.

How Dogs Learn is another great reference, as is Karen Pryor's Don't Shoot the Dog.

Really I am needing to get my pack back in order. As the testosterone is flowing, and my older dog is losing her health, things are getting out of control. I am about to move to a new house with new rules. If there is a book for Dog/Cat relationships that would be great too. I can't seem to get the boys to realize that the cats are not play toys. My girls have no problem with this, but the boys just can't grasp it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ah... have you worked with a trainer? All the reading in the world can't beat an hour one on one with a good experienced trainer...

There just aren't many "trainers" per sey around here that would work with my situation. I am still looking for a good one though.

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

How Dogs Learn by Bailey and Burch is a MUST read in my opinion.
    Don't Shoot the Dog is also excellent.
    Bones would Rain...is my all time favorite dog book.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    ah... have you worked with a trainer? All the reading in the world can't beat an hour one on one with a good experienced trainer...
    Amen to that!! I know they are being neutered soon. After that, I would take them to a good basic obedience class where you can learn together.

Quote Originally Posted by zoezoe
    Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    Amen to that!! I know they are being neutered soon. After that, I would take them to a good basic obedience class where you can learn together.

We have been through plenty basic obedience. Bo is in Agility, and Luke will be starting the end of the month. It has escalated to beyond that. They are testing their boundaries right now, and I don't think that I am letting them cross. (I could be wrong of course. No one ever really sees what they do wrong). At this point, I think it is listening skills that need to be learned. Bo especially.

http://www.apdt.com has a trainer search function

Mybabymambo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CenTexLabs
    Really I am needing to get my pack back in order. As the testosterone is flowing, and my older dog is losing her health, things are getting out of control. I am about to move to a new house with new rules. If there is a book for Dog/Cat relationships that would be great too. I can't seem to get the boys to realize that the cats are not play toys. My girls have no problem with this, but the boys just can't grasp it.
    Mambo thinks the kitties are his toys as well. Its always interesting here. Most of the time the cat wins. He also is always chasing Beanie. However I have caught them alot with nose to nose. Of course when they dont think we are looking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast