My dog is spoiled!

Thread: My dog is spoiled!

DefaultMy dog is spoiled!

I live with my parents and two younger brothers, so my 6 month old Indy gets plenty of attention. And with me and my brothers out of school for the holidays, he's been getting so spoiled! Well, today was my first day of class for the spring, and he was whimpering and barking all morning. I'm worried that when I move out and start working full-time (in 5 months), he's going to have some serious seperation anxiety.

Are there things I can do now to prevent that? Would it actually be good to ignore him a little bit and make him entertain himself more often?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: My dog is spoiled!

Instead, I would teach and proof SETTLE so that he's able to be calmed when he's feeling lonely and starts getting vocal about it.

He's actually really docile (you could even say lazy), but I will try that one. It would probably be really useful for when there are people around and he gets too excited.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Is he crate trained? I would highly recommend that before you have to leave him totally alone. If you properly crate train now then the crate becomes his "own space" and refuge. He will adapt more easily to any move if his "house" moves too.

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

give him small amounts of time of alone time, so he gets used to it without panicking the first time he has to be alone for long periods.

start with a couple of minutes, then 5 mintues, 10 mintues, etc.
    you can decide how quickly to increase the amount of alone time.
    some dogs handling being alone just fine, but it wouldn't hurt to get him habitualized to it as a preventative measure.

you can also provide stuffed kongs and special toys/bones that are safe to have unsupervised to help occupy his time and attention when he is alone.

mostly dogs just sleep when they are alone, but they need to be relaxed, and being relaxed comes with being comfortable with being alone.

one more thing, make your departures and arrives no big deal. don't get all excited and make a fuss.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Yeah he is crate-trained. He has grown so much though the past month, I think his 36 inch crate might be getting too small. I started letting him sleep out of his crate a couple weeks ago, so maybe he doesn't think of it as his home any more.

This is some good advice though; thanks.